Thursday, October 11, 2012 14:36

Review 84. Sarah J. Maas – Throne of glass.

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)Title: Throne of glass.
Author: Sarah J. Maas.
Pages: 404. 
Published: August 2nd 2012.
Publisher: Bloomsbury.
Sort: Part one of ‘Throne of Glass.’
Source: Netgalley & the publisher.
Meet Celaena Sardothien.
Beautiful. Deadly. Destined for greatness.

In the dark, filthy salt mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake: she got caught. Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament—fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?
Rating:

“You like to read?”  
She raised an eyebrown. “Don’t you?”

I loved it. I wish that there are enough words for me to explain how wonderful this book is. Before I started, I saw some negative reviews popping up. The main character was a Mary Sue, she was annoying and it was too predictable. I’m very glad that I don’t agree with those opinions and that I could enjoy Maas’ story. I can’t wait for part 2.

Summary.
Meet Celaena Sardothien, one of Adarlan’s most notorious assassins. She is just a girl of eighteen years old, but her reputation is terrifying. Someone betrayed her and now she’s doomed to be a slave at the salt mines of Endovier; hardly anyone survives the first year, but Celaena still lives. Her body is broken, but her mind is very much alive.

“Say my name. Say ‘Very well, Dorian.’”
She rolled her eyes. “If it pleases Your Magnanimous Holiness, I shall call you by your first name.”
"’Magnanimous Holiness?’ Oh, I like that one.”


At the castle, living under the name Lillian Gordaina, she makes new friends. One of them is the lovely Nehemia, a princess from another country. She’s there for her own reason, but Celaena is going to need her. Someone is using dark magic and Celeana must find out who it is; and she must put a halt to it.

Opinion.
I’ve never met a girl with more flaws than Celaena. She is arrogant, she has a bad temper, she is incredibly stubborn and she is too proud. But on the other hand; she grew up under hard circumstances, she’s strong, witty and loyal. Despite all her mistakes, I loved her! She's anything but standard and that was very refreshing. She also developed throughout the story. The interactions between the characters were definitely one of the best points. It’s always snarky/snappy and I’m a huge fan of that.

“You’ll be sweating when I skin you alive and squish your eyeballs beneath my feet,” she muttered, picking up the rapier.”

The side characters were great. I understand her attraction to Dorian, but I have more feelings for Chaol. I have the idea that we are going to see a lot more of him *swoon*. So, yes, there is a little hint to a love-triangle, but it never bothered me. I could understand all the feelings.
Not to forget; Nehemia. This girl has quite some spirit and she and Celaena are a perfect match. The development of their friendship was great and I hope to see her back soon.

One of the things I found a bit lacking was the world-building. There is a little information about the world, but the whole story plays inside the castle and that’s practically all we know. I wished there was more information about the time before the King took all the power. He is the bad guy and I understood why, but I wished that I really got to hate him. I have the feeling that I will get the chance, because in the last pages we get to see more of this cruel man. That’s a nice promise for part two.

This story is filled with action and it builds up toward the end, which definitely delivers. You could see it coming, but it was still satisfying. There wasn’t a moment I felt bored. There’s always something going on and I had a wonderful time living with Celaena and her friends. I want to return soon; so I’m going on the hunt for the novella’s.

preview.php

18 comments:

  1. Hehe, Celaena sounds like my kind of girl! >.< I have this one on my Kobo and I'm looking forward to it. It sounds exciting regardless of the lacking world building. Great review, chickie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Despite all of Celeana's mistakes, I really liked her too! I'm so glad to see we felt similarly about this book, Mel. Awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have this book waiting for me right now, so your review just make me even more interested to pick it up, Mel! <3 There's something about Dorian's name that makes my heart flutter, and her personality sounds like the one for me too! *grins*

    Lovely review, Mel! <3 Your glowing review seriously make me even more excited to read this! x)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard such mixed reviews of this one I've sort of been hesitant to read it. Glad to hear you loved it! That quote makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES, Mel!! I agree, I loved this one, too. I also thought some people went a little too hard of Celaena. I mean, yes, she was incredibly arrogant, but I also thought she was kind and loyal and fun. And it seems like everyone is on Team Chaol!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!!!! THRONE OF GLASS! I love love LOVED this book! Celaena is a heroine I completely adored and she rocks. Plus, she has two amazing guys vying for her attention. I loved both Chaol and Dorian but I might be leaning more towards Dorian :P

    Anyway, awesome review, Mel ♥ Can't wait for the sequel to Throne of Glass!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen so many different reviews for this one. I am so curious about it because so many people have loved it and some have not. I can't wait to see what my own take is on it. Although I was disappointed to hear there wasn't enough world building because for a high fantasy novel I feel that it is an essential aspect to the story.

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm.. like how the first time i read about the main protagonist being full of flaws!! Definitely a character id enjoy reading about! And to that, the side characters are also a bonus! Lovely review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this one too, with reservations, but enough that I'm really looking forward to #2.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book! I agree that Celeana is flawed and that it made her more likeable, in a way. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't think about the backstory for the King, that's a good point! I was too distracted by the wonderful map >.<

    Awesome review Mel! :)

    P.S. Team Chaol all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just when I think I've completely made up my mind not to read this book, a wonderful and positive review like yours shows up in my feed and forces me to reconsider. There's hope for me and this book yet.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed THRONE OF GLASS, too! YES, the world-building was definitely lacking a little, but other than that, I loved this book! To be honest, though, I hope Celaena chooses Dorian. I seem to prefer him over Chaol...

    Either way, amazing review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad that you loved this one, Mel! I can't wait to read it. It sounds so fantastic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay, a positive review for this book! I've seen quite a few of negative reviews. I've started reading the novella's for this book but honestly I can't stand Celaena in the novella's. I'm hoping that will be different in the book. Only way to find out is for me to hurry up and read this one!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great review! I have a review copy of this myself but unfortunately I just couldn't get into it! So, I'm so glad you were the opposite & loved it! I might go back to it someday soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved her! I am Team Chaol - Braine

    ReplyDelete
  18. I keep going back and forth on whether to read this book or not. It seems really interesting, but I'm not sure how I feel about yet another love triangle. I'll see. Great review, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0