Review 76. Lauren Oliver – The spindlers.

The SpindlersTitle: The spindlers.
Author: Lauren Oliver.
Pages: 256.
Expected publication: October 2nd 2012.
Publisher: HarperCollins.
Sort: Standalone.
Source: Edelweis and the Publisher.
Looking across the breakfast table one morning, twelve-year-old Liza feels dread wash over her. Although her younger brother, Patrick, appears the same, Liza knows that he is actually quite different. She is certain that the spindlers-evil, spiderlike beings-came during the night and stole his soul. And Liza is also certain that she is the only one who can rescue him. Armed with little more than her wits and a huge talking rat for a guide, Liza descends into the dark and ominous underground to save Patrick's soul. Her quest is far from easy, and the road to the spindlers' nests is riddled with danger. She must brave tree snakes, the Court of Stones, and shape-shifting serpents before facing her greatest challenge in the spindlers' lair, where more than just Patrick's soul is at stake.
Rating

Liza notices something strange about her brother, Patrick. His eyes are different and she immediately knows why: his soul is gone. The Spindlers stole his soul during the night and now it’s up to her to get it back. Her parents don’t believe her – of course they don’t, because they know nothing about the magical world around them – and they are far too busy with other things. Liza finds the place where The Spindlers left their house and she decides to search for Patrick right away. That’s when she stumbles on Mirabella, the rat.

”They had dropped down from the ceiling on their glistening webs of shadowed darkness and dropped their silken threads in his ear, and extracted his soul slowly, like a fisherman coaxing a trout from the water on a taut nylon fishing line. In its place they deposited their eggs;”
Quote from the ARC.


Be prepared for a lot of adventure and strange creatures. The world ‘Below’ is totally different than the world ‘Above.’ Nothing is what it seems and everything is unfair. That’s what Liza soon finds out. After a trip through several dangerous places, Liza finally arrives at the nest of The Spindlers. She can have her brothers soul back if she can survive the three rooms filled with tricks and puzzles. Is Liza clever enough to find her way to her brother?

Likes.
-Every chapter starts with a lovely drawing and some titles are really fun, like “The lumer-lumpen.”
-Liza is a clever and brave girl. She stands up for what she believes, because her parents always tell her “to stop making up all those stories.” If it wasn’t for Liza, Patrick’s body would burst one day to reveal thousands of new Spindlers.
-I like the different creatures we get to meet. My favorite are The Nocturni. They are the dream-bringers. They sip dreams from The River of Knowledge and they deliver them to their own human. 
-I also like the surroundings Liza encounters on her way to the Spindler’s nest. There is a lot of danger in the ‘Below’ and there is not a moment of rest. Liza always has to run or fight for her life, together with guide Mirabella. The three difficult rooms reminded me a bit of Harry Potter and they are wonderfully done.

Dislikes.
-Sometimes, the lines are really, really long. Just look at the quote. I don’t think those lines are easy for children and I certainly don’t see myself reading this out loud. You will trip over the words. I personally like it when the lines are a bit shorter.

Sneak peek.
Source: Lauren Oliver’s blog.
One night when Liza went to bed, Patrick was her chubby, stubby, candy-grubbing and pancake-loving younger brother, who irritated her and amused her both, and the next morning, when she woke up, he was not.
She could not describe the difference. He looked the same, and was wearing the same pair of ratty space-alien pajamas, with the same fat toe sticking out of the hole in the left foot of his red socks, and he came down the stairs exactly the same way the real Patrick would have done: bump, bump, bump, sliding on his rump.
But he was not the same.
In fact, he was quite, quite different.
It was something in the way he looked at her: It was as though someone had reached behind his eyes and wrung away all the sparkle, leaving only a blank gaze. He walked quietly--too quietly--to the table, sat nicely in his chair, and placed a napkin on his lap.
The real Patrick never used a napkin.

15 comments

  1. I'm looking forward to The Spindlers. I love Oliver's YA books, but I haven't read Liesl & Po, though I do own a copy. I agree...that is a tad verbose for a middle-grade novel, but it does paint quite the pictures, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lauren Oliver! I haven't read any of her books for younger audiences, but I will pick up the books now, because they sound lovely. I miss books that use drawings at the beginning of chapters. It reminds me of the Harry Potter books.

    s @ Oh! Paper Pages

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Lauren Oliver's books :) The Spindlers sounds like a cute read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I havent heaerd of this book but its Lauren's so Im going to check this one out. thanks for sharing. x

    ✿FICBOOKREVIEWS✿

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I've read Lauren's YA books, I haven't actually read her MG books. I've heard great things about Liesl & Po and The Spindlers sounds really AMAZING. And awww, I really love the sneak peek too!

    Awesome review, Mel! ♥ Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh love this review. I can't wait to read this one, I love everything Lauren Oliver has written and I know I'll love this too, now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no. No, no, no. I'm glad you enjoyed it...I love Lauren Oliver, but the quote alone made my skin crawl >.<
    No spider stories for Geo!! *cringe*

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGOMGOMG I really should read this sometime soon! Everyone seems to be raving about it and your review makes me so excited! I love Lauren Oliver (she's just amaaaaazing), and I'm sure this'll be just as good as all her other books. And I love pictures! YAY! Thanks for the lovely review, Mel sweetie! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely review! I can't wait to read this, I absolutely love Lauren Oliver's writing! I think it may be a little young for me, but I'm sure I'll love it all the same. I can't wait t meet Liza, now! Lovely review, Mel. (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see what you mean about the long lines, but when I tried to read it aloud it actually sounded a bit like poetry! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lauren Oliver is one of my favourite YA authors! I also read her MG novel Liesl & Po and found it really nice. Haven't read this one yet, but I think I'll give it a try some time. Long sentences don't bother me, but I can see your point. Long sentences aren't that easy for children to comprehend. And the drawings of each character sound just lovely. I like that!Thank you for your review:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked this one, too! The little creatures were so creative and cute! The three challenge rooms also reminded me instantly of HP.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a huge fan of Lauren Oliver's books, but I've been a little hesitant to start her MG novels. I'm glad you mostly liked it, Mel! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oo, I need to read this one. I need to read Leisl & Po too. I have it, I just haven't read it yet. I've actually never read ANY Lauren Oliver books yet. Must rectify that soon! Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really liked your comment on how this wouldn't be easy to read aloud. I like to read books aloud sometimes (or at least try for a little while, but then get impatient and instead read in my head which is...obviously...faster) but if this is an MG book, reading out loud should almost be a given. I may give this book a try at some point, but will continue to hold off. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.