Wednesday, August 01, 2012 14:09

WoW 17. Kit Grindstaff - The flame in the mist.


The Flame In The Mist
Title: The flame in the mist.
Author
: Kit Grindstaff.
Pages
: 454.
Expected publication: April 9th 2013.
Publisher
: Delacorte Press.
ISBN:0385742908 (ISBN13: 9780385742900)
Sort: Stand alone.

The sun never shines in the land of Anglavia. Its people live within a constant mist created by their rulers, the evil Agromond family. The Agromonds' control is absolute; no one dares defy them. But things are about to change, for the youngest of them is not like the others…

Fiery-headed Jemma has always felt like the family misfit, and is increasingly disturbed by the dark goings-on at Agromond Castle. On the eve of her thirteenth birthday, Jemma discovers the reason why: She is not who she thinks she is, and the Agromonds have terrifying plans for her. In mortal danger, she must flee from the castle.

But saving her skin is just the first of Jemma's ordeals. Ghosts and outcasts, a pair of crystals, a mysterious book, and an ancient prophecy gradually reveal the truth about her past, and proclaim a destiny far greater and more dangerous than any she could imagine.

With her trusted friend, Digby, and her two telepathic golden rats, Noodle and Pie, Jemma faces enemies both human and supernatural. But in the end, she and her untapped powers might be the only hope for a kingdom in peril.

I don't know why, but this book reminds me of Juliet Marillier's work - and I love her books. I really like the sound of this one. An evil Agromond family, an ancient prophecy and two telepathic golden rats? Sounds great to me! The cover is pretty. I had to look two times before I saw the rats; I thought it was her hair.

Only thing I don't like about it: the publishing date! Look at that.. Another long wait is coming.

Link me up with your WoW!

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

23 comments:

  1. Oh this cover IS pretty! And OMG I just saw the rats now bc you mentioned it! Ha!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome choice!!! I haven't heard of this one before and I haven't read anything by the author but it sounds interesting!!! The cover is lovely!!! And yes that release date is...SUPER far away...! Thanks for sharing.

    SeeitORreadit


    ReplyDelete
  3. Telepathic golden rats? I think those are reason enough to read this book!! And I love the title and cover, they're brilliant! Thanks for sharing!
    My WoW
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mel, I wasn't sure about this one...until I read telepathic rats ;-) The premise sure has potential...it sounds a little more MG than YA, but it depends on how it's pulled off I guess. Kind of like all the books with talking cats (which I usually love!), it's something I start of thinking will be MG but more often than not is the YA genre. Thanks for sharing :)

    Katja @ YA's the Word

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this one until now, but it does look and sound interesting! Thanks for sharing :)

    Shortskie's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, this does sound great AND it's a standalone. I'm always up for more of those! Definitely adding this to my list. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't heard of this one.
    Hope you get a chance to read it soon,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be honest this sound somewhat Harry Potter-ish to me. But that's not a bad thing. :) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh interesting! Haven't heard of this one!

    Here's My WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, that cover is CREEPY! I don't know if this is my type of read, but I know some of my friends will LOVE it :-)

    Thanks for stopping by BlookGirl earlier <3 Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this cover, but I don't think I'll be reading this one. Just doesn't sound like my cup of tea :D

    Here's what I'm anticipating: http://goo.gl/wdgVL

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The summary reminded me of Mistborn at first, but I can certainly see the Juliet Marillier comparison! This looks like a fun read.

    Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. awww I had a pet rat once upon a time. Sounds like a good fantasy with an interesting misty world! Thanks for stopping by My WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great pick! I haven't heard of this yet but it sounds good. I definitely need to check it out. Also the cover is so pretty!

    Thanks for visiting my post!
    Traci @ The Reading Geek

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds like it'll be really good! Great pick. Thanks for stopping by :)

    MaryAnn
    Chapter by Chapter

    ReplyDelete
  16. She has two telepathic golden rats? Heh, that's strange and cool. It does kind of remind me of Marillier's work too. I'll definitely be adding this one to my tbr - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haven't heard of this book before. It sounds a little strange but yet awesome at the same time. Lol. Thanks for stopping by my WOW this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did I just read something like 'telepathic golden rats' in the blurb? Yes? Oh, okay then. XD

    Jemma is not part of the Agromond family, is she?

    Thanks for stopping by. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hm. Not my usual reading style, but an interesting pick.

    Thanks for stopping by
    @ Livin' Life Through Books

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome choice. Added to my Goodreads. I totally didn't see the rats either. Thought it was her hair just like you did. Thanks for pointing it out. lol. Sent a request to follow you on twitter. =] Thanks for sharing and visiting My WoW
    Michael @ The Bookshelf Review

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds interesting, I may just have to read it. Thanks for stopping by My WoW

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't notice the rats either! xD This sounds intriguing! The evil "family" drew me in. :) Thanks for bringing this one to my attention! And thanks for stopping by my WoW!

    Randi
    Cardigans, Coffee and Bookmarks

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow, Mel...A friend was just doing a search on me, and found...This post! Over 3 months old! I can't believe I never saw it before. But here it is, and here you are, and now, so am I. Thank you so so much! You've just made my day.

    I'm thrilled by all these comments too. Only 5 months to go now, so thank you, all who expressed interest in reading, for your patience! In the meantime there'll be a trailer in Jan. at some point. I'll get the word out via Twitter, etc. Now to go and find you, if we're not already connected.

    And thanks so much again. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0