Monday, August 13, 2012 17:28

Review 64. Veronica Roth – Insurgent.

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
Title: Insurgent.
Author: Veronica Roth.
Pages: 525.
Published: May 1st 2012.
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books.
ISBN:0007442920 (ISBN13: 9780007442928)
Sort: Part two of ‘Divergent’
Review of Divergent.

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love. Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.
Rating: 3 out of 5.

There are spoilers if you haven't read Divergent yet.

“No matter how long you train someone to be brave, you never know if they are or not until something real happens.”

Insurgent picks up right after Divergent. Since I’ve read it right away, it didn’t bother me, but I can understand that it can be difficult if there is a lot of time between the two books. The group is now with Amity. When Tris hears a conversation between Marcus and Johanna (‘Amity leader’) she finds out that Erudite attacked Abnegation to get their hands on information and he wants to get it back. Abnegation wanted to show it to the rest of the factions, but Erudite is trying to stop it. When Tris tells Four about this, he doesn’t believe it. His father is a liar, so he can’t be trusted and they have to focus on the most important thing; destroying Erudite.

Amity finally decides that they want to stay neutral in this war. That doesn’t stop Erudite from attacking them. They must flee and in the end, Tobias, Tris, Caleb and Susan are able to get away with the train; filled with factionless. These people aren’t so factionless as it seems. The leader wants to overthrow Erudite and she is going for something more; ending all the factions.

There is a lot of travel in this book and that makes it hard to follow sometimes. They come in a lot of places and sometimes I forgot where they were. When there is a second attack, Erudite forces the group to deliver one Divergent to them. Tris is on a suicide mission in this whole book, so she decides that it’s a good idea to turn herself in. Can she escape? And can she find the information Marcus desperately wants?

“Sleep,” he says. “I’ll fight the bad dreams off if they come to get you.”
“With what?”
“My bare hands, obviously.”


Opinion.
There were a couple of things that really bothered me. First of all, Tris is different. She is more whiny about little things: like her struggling with holding a gun. Where is her brave character? I can understand that certain things changes you, because a lot of things happened in the first book.. But come on! She keeps pushing herself in these dangerous situations; she was supposed to be Erudite. You would expect more from her.
That brings me to her other strange decisions. She completely trusts Marcus, even when there is no evidence of everything he is saying. And the “super secret information that can’t be shared with words” wasn’t that spectacular at all. I must admit that one thing surprised me, but it wasn’t such a thrilling climax. I'm happy that we got the information, because it gave me more answers.

The changed behavior of Four brings me to the second point. He acts like a total douche bag. I didn’t like their relationship. At all. They are mean and they don’t trust each other. They keep lying and they do so many things behind each others back. They make up for their fights by kissing and that’s it.

There are a lot of people in this book. So many, that it was hard to keep track on them. They die page after page and in the end, it just felt like “ohhh, there goes another.” I wished I felt more for them. It's also hard to keep track of where they are, because there are many places they visit.

And the last points is the ending. How. Can. You. Do. That. It stops, just like that. I can understand the use of cliffhangers, but this was.. Like she couldn’t come up with a descent ending.

These things were just minor critics I have about this book, because in the end, I liked it! It was not as good as Divergent, but I certainly can’t wait to read the next one. Tris and Four are becoming my friends, even with their flaws.The writing style was great and there is still enough action besides all the talking, to keep it interesting. I still like the idea of this series and I want to find out where we are heading: are we finally going to find out what is behind the fence? I really believe that the last book will be as good as the first one. You see these things often. The second book always suffers; it always lacks the awesomeness of the first book.

8 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm sad to hear that this book let you down! Most second books in trilogy seems to suffer the fate of second book: lack-of-awesomeness! I read Divergent and LOVED it, but I'm going to proceed with caution now to Insurgent! <3 Thank for the awesome, honest review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I enjoyed this book as much as Divergent either. Tris was very infuriating in this book, I completely agree. Lovely, honest review, Mel! Let's hope book three is a good conclusion to this series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading Insurgent now. That "bare hands" quote is one of my favorites, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOOO >_< -Vivi hasn't read Divergent yet-
    Okay. I'mma gonna go read that one first, then I promise I'm coming back for this review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Her parents freaking died! And she killed Will! Of course she'd put herself in dangerous situations. She wants to die, too. She can't live it down, as of now. She's still brave, but now she's brave in a different way. But it is still pretty annoying.

    snugglemybooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen this cover yet, but its pretty.
    I still havent read DIvergent but I totally need to.
    Thanks for review and glad you enjoyed despite the flaws.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the issues you had are issues that a lot of people found with Insurgent. I agree with a lot of them, although they didn't bug me as much. I kind of liked that Tris was so unlikeable throughout the book. I liked that she was whiny and doing stupid things, because it felt real. She had been so through much, and to act perfect and brave all the time would have been false, I think. Don't get me wrong, I was still shaking my head and yelling "NO, why are you doing that?!" at her, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, Tris and Four annoyed me a bit in this one as well. Tris definitely makes some very un-Erudite decisions. But glad you still liked it anyways! Here's hoping Tris and Four are done with their petty squabbles for Book 3!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0