Review 69. Rachel Hawkins – Hex Hall.

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)Title: Hex Hall.
Author: Rachel Hawkins.
Pages: 336.
Published: March 2nd 2010.
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH.
Sort: Part one of ‘Hex Hall’
Sophie Mercer is a witch. When Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her warlock dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

Rating: 4 out of 5.

“Good luck explaining to God that you used to spank one of his heavenly beings."
Mom gave a startled laugh. "Sophie!"
"What? You did. I hope you like hot weather, Mom, that's all I'm saying.”

 
I have a new best friend and her name is Sophie Mercer. After an unsuccessful attempt for a prom-night spell, she is sent to Hecate Hall (also Hex Hall) on Graymalkin Island. This school is for Prodigium (also known as witches, faeries, shapeshifters, werewolves etc) She’s not happy. She lives a good live together with her non-gifted mother; her father is a warlock, but he is out of the picture. Still, he is the one who sentence her to Hex Hall.

By the end of her first day, Sophie already made three powerful enemies. She also developed a crush on Archer, a gorgeous warlock and she made friends with her roommate; a girl who happens to be the only vampire in the school. The pink-crazy Jenna.

“But this room looked like it had been decorated by the unholy lovechild of Barbie and Strawberry Shortcake.”

Opinion.
Oh, how I loved this book! Sophie is fantastic. She is witty, sarcastic and sweet. Yes, she develops a crush right away because the boy is hot as hell, but it was nice to see that she waits until they grow to each other. And be honest: I think we all had a crush in school on a boy because of his looks. It makes her a believable teenager.

he really cracked me up. There is something about the way she says things, in such a nonchalant way. I really could imagine her voice in my head. Just look at it, her comment to Cal – who is the ground keeper (and he sounds attractive):

“So if you can heal with your touch, why are you working here as like, Hagrid, or whatever?”
 
There is also Jenna, perhaps one of the biggest ‘freaks’ in the school. She is so cool. Even when everybody blames her, she tries to stand up for herself. Her room sounds horrible with all the pink, but it gave her a real personality. Her story is touching.

The ending of this book was great. I didn’t see it coming. I knew that Sophie was powerful, but I was pleasantly surprised by the conclusion. That brings me to the writing style. It’s easy and fast-paced; it was highly entertaining. I’m so glad that there is a second book.

You definitely need to read this book if you like funny, easy books about magical creatures. You won’t be disappointed, because this book has everything. From danger and drama to romance.

12 comments

  1. Oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh! I think I'm the only person on this planet to have not met Sophie yet! I'm so happy that this book's earned your approval, Mel <3 This series sounds so awesome, and Sophie seems to be such an engaging main character!!

    And LOOOL, yes I shall be honest: I had a crush on a guy because of his looks (ohmygosh, and the way he waaaaaalked, like that cool swagger he had---Vivi. stop please.-cough-) It's awesome that she's believable that way. There's no better way to get a reader's faith. I'm loving the sound of this book, and your review conclusion is so uber tempting >_<

    Okay, okay! I'm gonna read this as soon as I can grab a copy! Thanks for sharing the amazing, fantastic, awesome review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I was sometimes a real stalker when I had a crush on a boy. Trying to find him on the web and stuff like that :') Little scary Mel. And I hope that you grab your copy soon and that you love it as much as I did! Can't wait to hear your opinion :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayayayay! Another reader has fallen in love with the awesomeness that is Hex Hall! X)
    Gosh just reading your post makes me want to read the entire series again. Are you going to read the sequel? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it! :)
    Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already finished the whole series, haha. The other reviews will be posted soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book too! Sophie doesn't get bullied easily and the ending was indeed a nice twist. It skews the reader's good v bad outlook on the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always thought these books looked interesting but never really heard anything about them. I think I'm gonna have to give this first one a shot and see what I think! I love my fantasy/magical books to be laced with humor, so this sounds fantastic. :D Thanks for the review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loove your review!! I really want to read Hex Hall, and after your review, i think i WILL! Sophie DOES seem like a believable character, and i think i'll like that guy she's crushing on! haha! Really great review! I love books that make me laugh!
    - Farah @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got this one for Christmas but haven't read it yet! Ugh. I need to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yay! I loved this one. Sophie had me cracking up throughout! I loved Archer and their banter. Great review Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. kyaaaaaaa! these books are totally amazing! Im glad you love it as much as I! =DD
    I hope you continue the series because is really really good! =P and Archer Cross... good lord! yum!!

    wonderful review my dear! ^,^

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, I seriously have no idea how I have not read this one yet! I mean, you would think I would be all over a series that has the combo of magic + boarding school. That, and the characters sound amazing. The humour, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Y A Y! I'm soo glad that you liked this! Sophie is amazing and I loved the banter between her and Archer <3 Seriously, Hex Hall is one of my favorites of all time just because of how many times it made me laugh hehe x) And really, can you blame Sophie for crushing on Archer? Because damn, I fell in love with him too! Plus I love the whole boarding school setting~

    Anyway, FANTASTIC review! It's making me want to go reread Hex Hall all over again :P

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.