Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:45

Review 67. Marissa Meyer – Cinder.

Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1)Title: Cinder.
Author: Marissa Meyer.
Pages: 387.
Published: January 3rd 2012.
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends.
Sort: Part one from ‘Lunar Chronicles’
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.. Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
Rating: Favorite.

“I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.”

It’s amazing! I can’t wait to read the next book, because the ending makes you greedy for more. If you want to find out for yourself, here you can read an expert from the story: Chapter 1 – 5. And there is an extra story and you can find it over here: Glitches. It tells the story of a young Cinder and her stepfather Garan. It broke my heart.

Summary.
Linh Cinder lives in New Beijing and works as a (talented) mechanic. She’s not a normal girl; she is a cyborg. She was adopted by her stepfather who found her somewhere in Europe.  After his death, she became a slave for the family, but things are about to change. 

On a normal working day, an unusual man walks into her store. It’s Crown Prince of the Eastern commonwealth Kaito (also called ‘Kai’) He wants her to restore one of his androids. After he leaves, there is an outbreak in the store across her shop. There is another case of Letumosis; a dangerous disease which already claimed many lives. When her sister Peony catches the disease, her stepmother reports Cinder as volunteer. They are using cyborgs to come up with a medicine, since the King has fallen ill.

Cinder is perfect for the job. The doctor wants to use her blood for the cure. He will provide Peony with a vaccine if Cinder helps him. In the mean time, she keeps running into Prince Kai and he gives her a lot of attention. It’s clear that he quite likes her, but there are rumors that he will be married to Queen Levana, a Lunar. That would be a disaster, since the Lunars are a treat to the whole world. When Cinder discovers some terrible news after the arrival of the Queen on earth, it’s up to her to inform the prince. That’s not without danger.

The doctor provided her with a lot of revealed secrets around her mysterious past. She can’t remember anything from before the hover incident (which claimed her hand, feet and parents) and when she finds out who she truly is, she must run for her life. The Queen wants her dead for a ‘good’ reason. If Cinder manages to escape, she will become on of the most wanted fugitives.

Opinion.
Cinder is a wonderful girl. She is brave and she even risks her life in order to protect Kai. There is absolutely no instant love between the two. Better yet, Cinder tries to push him away, but he keeps coming back for her. She lives in a horrible family. Peony is a sweet girl, but Pearl needs a good smack in the face. Her stepmother Adri doesn’t appreciate Cinder and she gives her a hard time. Cinder still manages to stay caring and kind. 
Kai is great and I love how we really get to meet him. The chapters switch between Kai’s and Cinder’s story. We also have the doctor. All the information we get, comes from him and I found him touching. There is something warm and friendly about him and in the end, he is the one who tries to save Cinder.
I saw some parts of the story coming, but it was still satisfying when the plot reveals itself. This book surely doesn’t disappoint! I love the concept and the way the story unfolds. The big lines of the real Cinderella story are their, but Marissa found a way to create a wonderful new story.

The world-building is great. We get a lot of information about The Lunars and their Queen. It’s not strange that the Earth is afraid of her. She uses her glamour to silence her people and she kills everyone who stands in her way – including her niece Princess Selene. Although.. there are whispers that the princess survived and Prince Kai is searching for her, so he can marry her.

The writing style is flawless and I can’t wait to find out what will happen next. Cinder will meet Red Riding Hood, how awesome is that?

22 comments:

  1. Great review! I adored this book. So original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this, Mel! I can't wait to read the next book too. It'll be interesting to see how much of Red Riding Hood is used in it. Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so cool! I just got this one 1-2 weeks ago and I plan to read it soon I feel like I'm out of the loop on this one haha. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAAAAAY, ya liked it! <3 I'm with you on the sweet relationship between Cinder and Kai! It was so natural!! And omg, I loved the doctor >_< The world-building would definitely be one of my favourite things about this book, it's SO well created! *o* Super happy you enjoyed this one, let's wait on Scarlet together!! Lovely summary and review, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited that you loved this! It's been on my Wishlist for a while, and I'll hopefully be getting it soon. Now I'm looking forward to it even more.(:

    I love the plot you described.<3 Not to mention how wonderful Cinder sounds. And I'm glad that the writing style is flawless.

    Cinder meets red Riding hood? That sounds so great! Thanks for the lovely review, Mel.<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful review! I am really glad that you enjoyed this book as much as I did. I think it has to be my favourite fairytale retelling. I'm so excited for the rest of the series too. Thanks for sharing, Mel!

    Steph @ Stepping Out Of The Page

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice nice nice!! I really want to start this book now!! Cinder seems like a pretty cool girl! Brave and all! and THANK GOD for the romance not being insta love! I hate that! Great review Mel!
    - Farah @Majibookshelf
    *New Follower* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just bought this on the recommendation of a few trusted blogger friends. Can'g wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait for Scarlet! I agree that the big twist in this was definitely easy to figure out within the first like 30 pages but the story was so good and that ending! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy you loved it! This was one of my faves this year...I was actually going to pass it up at first but so glad I didn't. I'm really excited for the next book also I can't wait to see how Meyer incorporates Red Riding Hood into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked this one too! Things were definitely predictable, but like you I still enjoyed the outcome.
    'Pearl needed a good smack in the face.'
    I SO agree. :D

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review! You made it sound like a really good book! I just might have to add it to my bottomless to-be-read list now :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Annie in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you enjoyed it! This one is on my list, and I've been hearing good things about it. It's a retelling...so if it's a bit predictable I can handle it. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Legit? Red Riding Hood?? I'm intrigued!

    I have the five chapter sampler and it seems pretty good so far! I like that all of the characters have distinctive personalities!

    Thanks for your review! I'm always turned off by a book if the two lead characters meet and fall in love INSTANTLY (honestly, who even falls in love within days of meeting someone...).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay!! I am so happy to hear you enjoyed this! It was just such an inventive inspiration of the original Cinderella. I love how the relationship with Cinder and Kai played out, she is a fantastic heroine who I was rooting for the entire way. And I ADORED Iko so much!! <3 There were predictable moments for me too, but I think all my loves overpowered everything else :D

    So excited to see what Marissa has planned for Scarlet. Awesome review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. MELLLLLLL! I loved this book so so so so soooo much, and I'm CRAZY excited hearing you did, too! WONDERFUL review! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved this book! It was so awesome. I also loved the book style, meaning the font and the design of the beginning of the chapters.

    I cannot wait for Scarlett! I'm dying to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eek, I can't believe I haven't read this one yet! But you make me want to read it soooo bad. It sounds out-of this-world amazing - especially the characters and the world building. So glad you loved this one, Mel! I know I will, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I still have to read Cinder, but your review makes it sound amazing! Amazing review! :)
    Montana@The Book Belles

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, Cinder sounds terrific. I need to read it asap!
    And the Red Riding Hood is going to be in the next book? How awesome is that!
    Thank you for the great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Evil Queen...I wonder just how ugly she is! Hurry up with your Scarlet review lady!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0