Saturday, August 11, 2012 11:56

Review 63. Veronica Roth – Divergent.

Divergent (Divergent, #1)Title: Divergent.
Author: Veronica Roth.
Pages:  489.
Published: February 2nd 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins Children’s Books
Sort: Part one of ‘Divergent’
Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself. During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves... or it might destroy her.
Rating:


I absolutely loved this book. I read it in one day, because I couldn’t stop. I made friends with Tris and Four. It was fast-paced filled with action and some romance. This book had everything you could ask for. That’s why it’s so hard to write a decent review about it, but I’m going to try.

”It must be because you’re so approachable,” I say flatly. “You know. Like a bed of nails.”


Beatrice Prior lives in a divided society. There are five factions, each based on a virtue, and they have their own responsibility. You have Candor (honest), Abnegation (selfless), Dauntless (brave), Amity (peaceful) and Erudite (intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select a faction they will stay for the rest of their lives. You can understand that it’s a hard choice.

When Tris finds out that Erudite and Dauntless are planning a war, she wants to know more about it. How will they persuade the Dauntless to fight against Abnegation? But the people from Erudite have everything covered and it’s up to Tris and Four to safe her old faction and to stop a war. Let me tell you this, the ending is filled with action. The book build towards it and it certainly delivers. I couldn’t put it down.


Opinion.
I’m not going to make a list about the things I liked and disliked, because there is nothing I didn’t like about this book. It has everything in it. From a sweet, developing love to a lot of action and dead people. Roth certainly doesn’t spare our heroin. Tris is a tough, brave girl. She is far from perfect: she is selfish and she makes some stupid mistakes, but that’s what I liked about her. It makes her real. She makes some amazing friends and of course the mysterious Four. From the moment they met, there was a certainly chemistry between him and Tris. He is a great character.

The storyline is wonderful. The world-building we get is great. You get the history of the factions and I find it fascinating. From the beginning you understood that something was going to happen. A society based on factions is doomed to fail. This tension, combined with the action we get in Dauntless, makes sure that the book never gets boring. This book really lives up to the high expectations I had.

There is so much more I want to tell you! There are so many things going on, like the different tests Tris must pass in order to become a Dauntless member and the secrets in her family. So really, if you haven’t read this one, buy it and devour it. It’s so good.


6 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved Divergent! I was the same as you - I sat down one day and read it within 24 hours, it was so good. (and I'm a slow reader!) Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a wonderful job with this review, Mel! <3 and I really do understand your feeling about trying to write a review for ridiculously good books >_< I haven't read a single negative/average review for this book but it's been awhile, so thanks so much for putting it back under my radar! The characters sound great and hearing you say that it's got everything in it is way too tempting!! Lovely review, Mel!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Divergent and really liked Tris! I like how she was a different kind of heroine, strong and selfish and not necessarily pretty. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to read this. I've heard nothing but good things about it. I love the whole idea of the factions in this world. So unique. Great job reviewing Mel!

    PS I LOVE this version of the cover. What version is it for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely agree with everything you said, Mel! Divergent is definitely one of my alltime favourite YA books and also my favourite YA dystopian series. It's just AMAZING. Veronica Roth's writing is fantastic, the world-building is fantastic and her characters are incredible. Four is AWESOME and Tris has got to be one of the best heroines out there!

    Awesome review, Mel! ♥ SO glad you enjoyed this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, thanks for stopping by, means the world to me! xx

    I simply loved and devoured this book. It was such a great start to a series and I just want to know what happens next. My Insurgent copy should be here in the next few days and I'm bummed that Uni has started and I just brought home an Organic Chemistry book with 1300 pages in it and it's only the first book out of 5 subjects so.. yeah.. not much time left for reading and blogging, but I'll definitely read the sequel ASAP. And I liked your review, too, it just made me smile. I loved everything about this book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0