Thursday, August 02, 2012 16:21

Review 60. Julie Kagawa–The iron knight.

The Iron Knight (Iron Fey, #4)Title: The iron knight.
Author: Julie Kagawa.
Pages: 384.
Published: October 26th 2011. Publisher: Harlequin TEEN.
Sort: Part 4 from ‘The iron fey.’
Reviews: Part 1. The iron king.
Part 1.5. Winter’s passage.
Part 2. The iron daughter.
Part 3. The iron queen.
Part 3.5. Summer’s crossing.
Ash, former prince of the Winter Court, gave up everything. His title, his home, even his vow of loyalty. All for a girl… and all for nothing. Unless he can earn a soul. With the (unwelcome) company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, the Big Bad Wolf and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through to its end— a quest to find a way to honor his solemn vow to stand by Meghan’s side. To survive in the Iron realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. At least, no one has ever passed to tell the tale. And then Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that turns reality upside down, challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.
Rating: 4 out of 5.

“You realize you've been duped by a fish," I said, watching the catfish grin at me before slipping into the dark waters, lost from view. Puck shrugged.
"Hey, it was going to name one of its grandfish after me," he said, tossing the line into the water again. "That's one of my rules, you know. I refuse to eat anything that names its kid after me.” 


In part 3, Ash left Meghan in her Iron Kingdom. He vowed that he would find a way to stay with her; he must find a soul and become mortal. Therefore, he must find Grimalkin with Puck and that takes a lot of time and effort. When they finally found the cat, Grimalkin tells them that they will search for ‘The seer.’ This was unexpected for me. I never thought that The seer would be that person, but I liked it and it made sense. It also made me feel sad.

The seer tells Ash that he must find The testing grounds. There will be a Guard and he will test Ash. If he accomplish all the tests, he will gain a soul. If not, he will be doomed to stay there forever until he fades away.
The road is long and difficult, with a lot of danger, but they make it to The testing grounds. It’s not easy for Ash. He is having a hard time. Will Ash succeed in the tests? Will he proceed to get a soul or will he leave Meghan; becoming a mortal isn’t what he expected.

Opinion.
I have strange feelings at the moment. I really loved this book, but it’s also the last one and I don’t want to say goodbye! This book is written from Ash his POV and I’m glad for it. I learned more about him and his feelings, because sometimes, he was a bit hard to read. He is a wonderful character. He made mistakes in the past, but that made him even more realistic. He is so caring for Meghan. We also have the other great characters. Puck is there, of course, with all his humor to make the story a bit lighter. Grimalkin, sarcastic as always and a newbie: The big bad wolf. He always fights with Grimalkin, but they are like Puck and Ash. Deep down, they are friends.

The tests were great! I liked how he had to go through different stages of mortality. I can understand that he had a hard time; imagine losing all your power, strength and speed. That’s why I admire Ash. He is willing to give it all up, so he can be with the love of his life. The ending of this book is great. It’s everything I could wish for.

Like always, this was a fast-paced, easy book. Before you know it, it ends. Luckily for us, there was a Survival Guide and a little interview with Julie, Puck and Ash. The interview cracked me up. I can say by now that I have a new favorite author to add to my list.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

10 comments:

  1. Oooh, I really enjoyed this one too, especially the final third, but unlike the first three, this felt more like a MG book for boys to me, and not just because we were seeing through Ash's eyes. It was the river and the action that felt like a video game turned into book. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I liked it a lot, and I can never get enough of Ash and Puck.
    Great review, Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I loved this book so so much. It's heart-breaking to see things through ASh's POV, but also incredibly refreshing, isn't it? All his secrets, out in the open, you just get the whole picture about who he really is. It was great *-*

    But hey, there's still The Iron Legends coming out, right? So technically it's not over yet!

    I'm glad you liked this series. Julie Kagawa is a very talented author :D

    Ps: The interview in the ending cracked me up too, LOL xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yet another series I really want to get to but am kind of scared to read due to high expectations. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm biased so I really can't comment this review without saying: The Iron Fey series is one of my favorite, EVER! So I completely agree with you. I was also sad when it ended..but soon we will have the Iron Legends and The Lost Prince, which will hopefully be as good!

    Great review!
    Rachel @ Books to Consider

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this series so much. Reading your review makes me want to read the whole series again! Can't wait for Iron Prophecy and Lost Prince. Even though LP is about Ethan, I'm hoping to see more of Ash and Meghan again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome review. I really want to start this series, especially with the spin-off out

    ReplyDelete
  7. EEEEEE YES! YES! YES! Your review is absolutely spot on, Mel! The Iron Knight was such a beautiful ending to the Iron Fey series. The ending made me shiver because *sigh* I was absolutely content at how Julie decided to end the series. But of course, I still can't wait for The Lost Prince ;)

    Awesome review, Mel! ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so have to read this series!!! I say this with every review I see haha. It really seems like everyone and their dog loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mel, YOU. PICK. THE. BEST. QUOTES. EEEEVEEEEER!!! I shared those "it's the last one!! noooo~!!" feelings on this one as well! You're so right that all of Ash's mistakes, etc. made him realistic. I really felt it brought him so much more closer >_< Interview totally made me laugh as well! The Ash being stubborn part was bang on! I felt exactly what Julie meant when she was pushing him to say something and he didn't XD I guess it just proves how much to life Julie brought these characters to us ;__; Awesome review~ It was lovely making it through this journey with you, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had many doubts going into this one when I heard Meghan was hardly in it. But it ended up being my favorite of the four - what Ash went through for a soul! Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0