Thursday, August 30, 2012 19:08

Review 71. Tina Connolly - Ironskin.

Ironskin (Ironskin, #1)Title: Ironskin.
Author: Tina Connolly.
Pages: 304.
Published: October 2nd 2012 by Tor Books.
Sort: Part one of ‘Ironskin.’
Source: Publisher & Netgalley.
Jane Eliot wears an iron mask. It’s the only way to contain the fey curse that scars her cheek. The Great War is five years gone, but its scattered victims remain—the ironskin.  When a carefully worded listing appears for a governess to assist with a "delicate situation"—a child born during the Great War—Jane is certain the child is fey-cursed, and that she can help. Teaching the unruly Dorie to suppress her curse is hard enough; she certainly didn’t expect to fall for the girl’s father, the enigmatic artist Edward Rochart. But her blossoming crush is stifled by her own scars, and by his parade of women. Ugly women, who enter his closed studio...and come out as beautiful as the fey.  Jane knows Rochart cannot love her, just as she knows that she must wear iron for the rest of her life. But what if neither of these things is true? Step by step Jane unlocks the secrets of her new life—and discovers just how far she will go to become whole again.
Rating:

The idea was refreshing and I liked the promise, but I ended up disappointed with this story. Especially in the beginning. I almost reached the point of putting this one in my ‘DNF’ list of this year. I’m glad that I continued, because it became much better towards the end.

One of the hardest things was the fact that nothing really happens. It’s difficult for me to read something that makes me feel bored. Jane accepted the job of governess when she finds out that the child if fey-cursed. Since Jane became an Ironskin in the Great War, she believes she can help the little girl. It’s not that easy. The girl keeps using her powers instead of her hands and Jane must use all her patience with Dorie. That’s the only thing Jane keeps doing throughout the whole book. The ending was slightly better, but it wasn’t enough.

Edward is gone most of the time. He is an artist and he locks himself up in his studio. A lot of ‘ugly’ woman visit his shop and they leave with an unbelievable beauty. Sometimes Edward slips into the forest, but Jane never questions this behavior and she doesn’t connect the dots. Jane and Edward hardly talk. This made it hard for me to understand their chemistry; I never felt it. I didn’t care for their relationship and I never felt like I knew Edward. He was too distant for me.

Jane is a sweetheart, but she never became my friend. I loved the fact that she can live with her iron mask. She doesn’t dwell in pity; she accepts it. She was brave at the end of the book, but I think I will forget about her soon.

The world-building is a bit plain. Jane spends all her time in Edward’s house and sometimes with her annoying sister Helen. We hardly get any information about the Great War. We get a glimpse of information at the ending, but I wanted to know more.

Overall, it was quite a nice story, but it doesn’t reach the high quality of the original story for me.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

10 comments:

  1. sad to to hear ironskin will was meh and forgettable. maybe i 'll like it
    gr8 review

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad. This book looked interesting to me but it was never super high on my TBR list. I don't like when a love story is thrown in, sometimes a book like this could be good with just her relationship with the little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a few people have felt similarly about this book so I'm feeling a little reluctant to read it now. I'll be sure to go in with low expectations. I'm glad to hear it picked up after a while though. Thanks for the helpful review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen the book before but never actually read reviews on it so this is my first! The cover is actually quite gorgeous and I love that mask. I'm really sorry that you are disappointed by the book, Mel! I might still look out for this book when I get the chance :)

    Thank you for the honest and awesome review, Mel! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Roro, I hope you do!
    @Jen Witch, exactly. The love comes falling down and I couldn't believe it.
    @Sam, you're welcome!
    @Celine, you should definitely give it a chance. I hope you'll like it more than I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great honest review, Mel! Sorry to hear that this one fell a bit flat for you :/ Too bad it made you feel like it wasn't enough...ahhh, that unsatisfied feeling >_< I was really intrigued by the synopsis of this one, but I think I'll skip this one. Thanks for sharing your wonderful review, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw shucks, I was really excited for this one. But I hate being bored when I read books and it sounds like I definitely will be with this one. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm... I was really looking forward to this one, since it's a retelling of Jane Eyre, which I love, love, love! Sounds like maybe it didn't work so well, though? I think I'll probably still give it a shot and see what I think. I was hoping this would be on par with 'For Darkness Shows the Stars,' which was an AMAZING re-imagining of 'Persuasion.'

    Thank you for reviewing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw man I had high hopes for this one..I have it sitting in my review pile and now I know i'm going to be a little hesitant to pick it up. Hopefully i'll like it i've had too many DNF's this year then usual.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh damn, sorry this didn't live up to it's potential. I can understand why you'd have issues with the chemistry if they barely even talk - communication is kind of essential in building love! Disapppointing that none of the characters made an impression either. Glad to hear the end improved, though. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0