Monday, July 23, 2012 19:25

Review 56. Julie Kagawa – The iron king.

The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)Title: The iron king. 
Author
: Julie Kagawa.
Pages: 363.
Published
: February 1st 2010.
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
ISBN: 0373210086 (ISBN13: 9780373210084)
Sort: Part one of “The iron fey” 
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined. Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home. When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change. But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.
Rating:

After my first meeting with Julie Kagawa’s work (The Immortal Rules) I couldn’t wait to read her other work too – and I am so glad! There is something captivating about this book. The writing style is pretty simple and easy. No difficult words or fancy lines, it’s all about the story and I loved it from the beginning.

Summary.
Meghan lives a normal life with her mother, stepfather and little brother Ethan. Her father disappeared when she was only six years old. Her best friend is Robbie and she has a crush on the popular high school boy. Like I said, a normal life, but that is about to change. A lot.

Ethan sees strange things and Meghan starts to notice weird things too. When her brother disappears, Meghan doesn’t hesitate. Together with Robbie, who is actually Puck in the faery world – Meghan is going after her brother. Before she can accomplish that, she finds out that she is the daughter of Oberon, King of the Summer court. Their enemies, the Winter court, arrived and that’s how she meets Ash, the youngest prince. Puck and Ash hate each other and they are sworn enemies. Still: Ash will help to find her brother and in return, he can take her to the Winter court.

”Oh, we’re playing nice now?” Puck remained seated, looking anything but compliant. “Shall we have tea first? Brew up a nice pot of kiss-my-ass?”

Together with Puck, Ash and Grimalkin (a wonderful cat), Meghan hunts for her brother. He is in the hands of a new kind of faeries: the Iron fey and that’s pretty odd, since faeries can’t stand iron. On their way, Puck is heavily wounded and they must leave him with the Dryads. Will Puck survive? And can they rescue her brother?

Conclusion.
Easy written, fast-paced story with nice characters. There is a slight hint of instant love, but that really didn’t matter! Who could resist Ash? In the beginning, he is cold and mysterious, but I love how we get to know him better. Puck is hilarious, I like his sense of humor. Grimalkin is fantastic, just like the cat from Alice in Wonderland. And last, Meghan. The fact that she accepts everything so fast and that she doesn’t hesitate to safe her brother, great! She is scared, but she can still make great decisions. She really began to felt like a friend.

Winter’s passage.
This is part 1.5. Published June 1st 2010 by Harlequin Teen (first published May 20th 2010). ISBN: 1426858329 (ISBN13: 9781426858321)
Winter's Passage (Iron Fey, #1.5)
Meghan Chase used to be an ordinary girl...until she discovered that she is really a faery princess. After escaping from the clutches of the deadly Iron fey, Meghan must follow through on her promise to return to the equally dangerous Winter Court with her forbidden love, Prince Ash. But first, Meghan has one request: that they visit Puck--Meghan's best friend and servant of her father, King Oberon--who was gravely injured defending Meghan from the Iron Fey.
Yet Meghan and Ash's detour does not go unnoticed. They have caught the attention of an ancient, powerful hunter--a foe that even Ash may not be able to defeat....
                                      Rating

Just a short story that tells us more about their way to the Winter Court. After saving Ethan, Meghan must obey the pact she made with Ash. She must go with him to the Winter Court to meet his mother, Queen Mab. She has no idea what Mab really wants from her. It was a nice addition to the story.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

11 comments:

  1. EEEEEEH!!! -switches to full-on fangirl mode-
    Yes, you're right on! The Iron King was Julie's first book, and her writing back then was quite easy-going and simple but it's OH-SO-FUN!!!

    And hahaha!!! Great choice of quote for Puck! I've yet to up a review for Julie, but if I do, I'll make sure to choose a worthy Puck-quote to go along as well! (already bookmarked the pages)

    Yes. No one can resist Ash (except for this one friend of mine XD) and yes, it is a bit instant, but he's so awesome we don't care, do we XD

    Meghan really is great and I agree with you!!! She's not stupid, and I appreciate that as well ^^ oh, and Winter's Passage was a nice interlude between the first two books <3 I thought it was a nice bridge as well!

    Woah..long comment, sorry XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Viv, I love long comments, so don't excuse yourself ^^ Puck had so many quotes, I really had to choose one. I bookmark everything :p And even though I'm more on the Puck team, I can understand that Meghan fell for Ash. He sounds incredibly handsome :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review :D I LOVE this series. I love the covers, I love Meghan, I love the romance (who could resist Ash indeed? he's an awesome character), and Julie's writing never cease to surprise me. I'm glad you enjoyed The Iron King. The rest of the series is slightly better, so I guess you'll like it too *-*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaaay! I'm so glad you read this book! This is probably one of my all-time series! If you thought Ash was lovable now, just wait till you keep on reading! Though I definitely loved Puck just as much <3 <3
    I haven't read the short story, but gosh I might have to now because I miss the world of the Iron Fey so much!
    Fantastic review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't a huge fan of this series, I loved The Immortal Rules more, but I liked it overall. Glad you did too Mel. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet, another series I need to get started on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds SO good and I have the first 3 books at home but I haven't even started the series! AAAH" I love the characters and how you describe them. Ash sounds awesome and I love humor in books so I think I'd like Puck too! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An awfully fun tag for you, Mel! ^_^ I had so much fun with it, so hope you'll enjoy doing it too!

    "Would You Rather" Tag

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! Im SO glad you enjoyed The Iron king so much!! and Ash!!! kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    I hope you read The Iron Daughter, The Iron Queen and The Iron Knight soon! they are amazing!! my favorite faery series ever!!!!!!!!!

    fabulous review Mel! <3333 muah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Natalia, I'm already busy in The Iron Knight :D and my reviews are waiting to be posted!

    Everybody else, thanks or the lovely comments! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY! I'mm so glad you enjoyed reading The Iron King, Mel! I discovered the series last year before the fourth one came out and the series was absolutely addictive. The wait for The Iron Knight to me last year was so long because I'm desperate to know how things end and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED how it concluded Ash and Meghan's story!

    Awesome review, Mel! ♥ I hope you love all the books in the series :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0