Review 58. Julie Kagawa – The Iron Queen.

The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey, #3)
Title: The Iron Queen.
Author: Julie Kagawa.
Pages: 358.
Published: January 25th 2011.
Publisher: Harlequin Teen.
Sort: Part 3 from ‘The iron fey.’
My name is Meghan Chase. I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.
This time, there will be no turning back.
Rating:

“Good idea,” Puck echoed from the back of the cave. “Why don’t you take first watch, prince? You could actually be doing something that doesn’t make me want to gouge my eyes out with a spork.”

This is my favorite book from ‘The Iron Fey’ so far. Ash and Meghan are banned from the faery world, but Meghan isn’t planning on staying away. After an attack from The Iron Fey in her mortal world, she decides to take things into her own hands. First, she must do a couple of things to get her father back from Leanansidhe. The exiled queen gives them a safe place to stay.
Meghan finds out that Puck knew about her father and she is really angry with him. She even sends him away, but soon it’s time to ask him for help. It appears that her magic is struggling: she has the Iron and Summer power and they won’t mix. Puck must help her to control it, otherwise she can’t use either of them.

One day, they get a offer from the Summer and Winter court. If she defeats the new and fake Iron King, their banishment is over. They can’t turn it down, but there comes the real problem. How the hell do they get to The Iron King and how can she defeat him? She can’t use her power and his realm is spreading fast: which means that he is gaining a lot of power. I liked that our heroin really suffered in the end. Not that I enjoy that, but it made it realistic. In real life, you have to fight for it, so I like that she had a tough battle.

Opinion.
First of all, I loved the romance in this book! Since their relationship is developing, it feels so.. real. I tend to like Puck more, but I get her feelings for Ash: he does sound handsome and he is incredibly sweet for her. I had to include this quote:

‘Ash brushed the hair from my neck and leaned close to my ear, his voice so soft not even Grimalkin could’ve heard it. “I love you,” he murmured, and my heart nearly burst out of my chest. “Whatever happens, we’re together now.”’

Normally, I don’t really like all the swoony quotes, but I found myself going all warm inside when I read this book. Of course there is Puck and our lovely sarcastic cat Grimalkin. Those two really make my day. I could be friends with them, without a doubt. They complete the story.

There is also enough action in this book. It’s not all butterflies and rainbows, because the world is changing – fast. The realm of the Iron Fey is spreading and a lot of land and faeries died in the war. It’s up to Meghan to safe the world she begins to love and it’s a dangerous mission. Enough fighting and scary creatures to make it a fast-paced story. I really liked this one.

6 comments

  1. Oh I've had the first 3 books of this series for ever and I really have to read them! It sounds awesome and I Love that the romance is realistic and everyone seems to be swooning over it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super sweet review, Mel! I definitely agree! To be honest, I'm not sure if I like Queen or Knight better (even when I'm hardcore Team Ash). and awwww!! I totally swooned at that one as well <3 I like how Julie waited until the third book because if Ash said that in even the second, it might've sounded falsy. LOOOL, definitely not all butterflies and rainbows in this one, but there's so much passion >_<

    I was bawling like a baby at the end!! With you all the way, and very glad that you really liked this one as well ^_^ Epic review, as always Mel!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is AWESOME. I'm following and I look forward to seeing more posts! Would you mind checking out the story I'm writing on my blog; Escaping Jackie, I'd appreciate it very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab review! I need to read this series, soon! Thanks for posting, the romance sounds so cute.
    I'm a new follower, love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!!!! Awesome review Mel!!! This is my all time favourite book in the Iron Fey series too!!!! The romance and action in this book are totally awesome! Thanks for sharing.
    SeeitORreadit


    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this whole entire series! I always wish you could just take puck and ash and put them into one person because I love so many different aspects of them both lol. Awesome review!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.