Saturday, July 28, 2012 19:13

Review 57. Julie Kagawa – The iron daughter.

The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey, #2)
Title: The iron daughter.
Author
: Julie Kagawa.
Pages: 359.
Published
: August 1st 2010 (first published July 27th 2010)
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Sort: Part two of “The iron fey”
Review first book:
The iron king.
Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.
Rating: 4 out of 5.

If you haven’t read the first book, you might want to skip this.

“Do not blame me, Goodfellow,” Grimalkin blinked, managing to sound bored and indignant at the same time. “I was minding my own business long before you and the princess started humping like rabbits.”

This book picks up where we left. Meghan went with Ash to the Winter court after saving her brother Ethan from the Iron Fey. She killed the king, but the treat isn’t over yet, it’s about to begin. When Meghan is summoned to the Winter queen, Mab, she finds out that the queen has her doubts about the Iron Fey. Mab is also pissed at her, because she tricked Ash into helping her. When Sage is killed and the scepter is stolen, Mab is furious: this is the work of the Summer court! A war is coming, while the Iron Fey stole the scepter. Nobody, expect Ash, believes Meghan and they must flee to return the scepter before the war starts.

Luckily for us, Puck is back! Grimalkin is there to help them, of course, and they get a strange new ally. It’s Ironhorse and he wants to help them, because his new King is a fraud. Ash decides it’s too dangerous for Meghan and he goes his own way. Unfortunately, that doesn’t turn out well: Ash falls into the hands of Virus, an Iron Fey. She can implant robots into the brains of her victims, so she can control them.

Can Meghan safe Ash before it is too late?

Conclusion.
I must say that in the beginning, I was a bit annoyed by Meghan. Her feelings for Ash are pretty strong and his cold and distant behavior makes her sad. Sometimes, it was a bit too swoony. I was glad that it changes fast, because there are a lot of things going on. Puck returns to help them and a love triangle is forming. Most of the times, I hate it when this happens, but here, I understood where it comes from. Puck has been her friend for a long time and Ash has turned his back on her. It’s not strange that Meghan’s feelings are messed up.

Ironhorse was wonderful. It’s so cool that he is able to transform his body into a human shape. I could imagine his booming voice while reading his lines. The little, but important role from Leanansidhe was lovely. I think she will play another part in the next book. 
I also liked the use of humor in this book. I found myself laughing out loud a couple of times. The writing style was exactly like the first book, so I liked it of course! Ash is great. I love how he stood up for his feelings at the end of this book. How he made the tough decision, giving up everything he knows. I can’t wait for the next one. I’m going to read it right away.

Two swoony quotes.
He was real. He was here, not dying in a tree somewhere, left behind and forgotten. “I missed you,” I whispered against his neck.
He held me tighter. “I’ll always come back for you,” he murmured, sounding so unlike himself that I pulled back and looked at him. For a moment, his green eyes were intense, and I caught my breath at the emotion smoldering within.
“You’re kind of blind, you know?” Puck whispered, smiling to soften his words. “I wouldn’t defy Oberon for just anyone. But, for you…” He leaned forward, touching his forehead to mine. “I’d come back from the dead for you.”
So, yeah, I might have a little fling on Puck. Perhaps more than on Ash, because Puck seems like such a loyal and sweet boy. Normally, I’m not crazy about all these swoony scenes, but these are just too cute. Julie knows how to write them in a good way.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

5 comments:

  1. Great review! I'm glad you liked this, even though Meghan was a bit irritating in the beginning. However, even though Puck is cute, I can't say I prefer him to Ash :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. WUNDERBAR!!! (for Vivi to use German words of praise is rare ~ you're a special case, Mel <3) SO glad that you'll be able to virtually stay with us, and you lucky girl, your complete vacation sounds absolutely amazing! Epic quote choice, as usual XD I was laughing so hard at that one, haha!

    Yeah, definitely agree that beginning was rather restless for everyone. I felt a bit bad for Meghan, truthfully...Ash >_< You were so mean there!!! and THANKYOUUUUUU! for mentioning Ironhorse! To be honest, during the first two books, I was -booming loud- TEAM IRONHORSE!!! -echoes-

    So happy that you enjoyed the writing as well <3 Julie's just so funny sometimes, I'm always happy when I read her books, haha! And as for Puck, he's such a sweetheart, isn't he *o* Anyway, let's (slowly) conquer the journey of The Iron Knight with Ash ^_^ I'm just so sad that we're on the last book already T___T

    Fabulous review, as usual Mel <333 Looking forward to your TIQ review ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Beatriz, it's hard to make a choice. They are both so different and cute ^^
    @Viv, I'm also glad that I can keep blogging! And a special case, that sounds cool :D I couldn't leave that quote out of my review: Grimalkin is awesome. And team Ironhorse indeed! I'm also sad that it's the last book. I try to take my time, but I also want to find out what is going to happen :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely can't wait to read this! Sounds very interesting! New follower!

    ~Kendra Malcom
    www.whilebayingatthemoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you enjoyed this one to Mel. I was always an Ash girl myself. Hope you like how the series ends. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0