Friday, July 20, 2012 21:25

Review 55. Jackson Pearce – Sisters red.

Sisters Red (Fairytale Retellings, #1)Title: Sisters red.
Author
: Jackson Pearce.
Pages: 324.
Published
: June 7th 2010.
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers.
Sort: Part one of “Fairytale retellings.
Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead. Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?
Rating

Scarlet and Rosie March live with their grandmother in the forest. Their whole world is about to change when they get a visit from an unknown man. He attacks them: it’s a wolf and he kills their grandmother. Scarlet is able to defend her and Rosie, but is left with a lot of scars and she is blind at one eye.

But something tells me the hospital staff wouldn’t be too cool with a scarred-up girl with an eye patch coming in and hacking up one of their patients.”
 

After the prologue, the story is told from two POV’s. We get to take a look through Scarlet’s eye and Rosie’s eyes and that was a nice addition to the story. You really get to know both girls and you can understand their feelings much better this way. On one side, Scarlet is obsessed with the hunt. She believes it’s their job. On the other side, Rosie is torn between her sister and her life. She owes her life to Scarlet and therefore, she will hunt, but it doesn’t satisfy her enough. It’s Scarlet’s passion to hunt, but Rosie wants more. And she soon gets the chance.

They travel to another city, because they heard about the rumors of a ‘Potential.’ They want to capture the boy and safe his life. Between hunting, Silas gives Rosie a little present: he pays for three little courses she can follo and they start to feel more than friendship.

Can they find the Potential before it is too late? Can Rosie combine a real life with hunting or will that separate her from her Scarlet? And what will happen with her feelings for Silas? If you want to find out, you better start reading this wonderful story!

Conclusion.
Scarlet is a kick ass girl. Her body is proof enough, because it’s filled with scars. After the death of her grandmother, she totally lives for the hunt. It’s her passion; her calling. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet, she is ready to kill every wolf who crosses her path. That also made me sad, because there is so much more to live for. Like Rosie, who longs for something more. She is sweet and brave. Scarlet worries a lot about Rosie hunting alone, but believe me, she can handle a lot! Silas was great. He is very loyal to his friends, because he would sacrifice his life in order to safe them. He is also incredibly sweet towards Rosie.

I could see the plot coming, but I still liked the twist. There were some surprising things though, so not everything was predictable. I loved the fact that this retelling was so different from the real story, while it still manages to capture the essence.

I can't wait to read another book from this author!

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like the ideal retelling. It captures the feel of the original while not being anything too similar. I will have to give this a shot one day! Great review, Mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this one, Mel! I haven't read anything by Pearce but with every review of her work that I read, I want to more and more. This one sounds pretty cool, a neat twist on the whole Red Riding Hood story. I'm really digging fairy-tale retellings these days!

    Great review - you definitely told us why you liked it without spoiling.

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy you liked this, Mel! I had a few issues with the book, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. Aaaw thank you for adding me to your blog list, sweetie! It means so much to me. You're definitely going on my list too!! :')

    I read Sweetly, which is another retelling by Pearce, but for some reason I just didn't like it as much as I liked this one... -.- But it was still good! I guess my standards and expectations were kinda high after reading this book of hers. Lovely review, Mel sweetie!! I'm so proud and happy to call you one of my best bloggy friends!! <333

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been hearing great things about Jackson Pearce's fairytale re-tellings book and I'm really dying to read them! Scarlet and Rosie both sound really AMAZING and I can't wait to meet them in Sisters Red! I'm glad to hear that the plot is not quite predictable and that there are still some twists!

    Awesome review, Mel! ♥ Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds amazing Mel. I hope it's not a love triangle between the sisters and Silas though! This would make me sad because sisters should stick together and not be torn apart by a man! Can you tell I have a sister that I'm extremely close too? I've see the cover to this but never read the description. You make it sound very interesting! Excellent review Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sam, it's the ideal fairytale retelling indeed!
    @Molli, I love the retellings now a days too! And I'm so glad that there are more to come :) It's good that I didn't spoil the fun, because that's what I try to do.
    @The Teen Book Guru, ahh, you're so sweet! I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like Sweetly.. And I'm glad to call you my bloggerfriend too!
    @Celine, Scarlet and Rosie were amazing! :D
    @Rachel, there is no love triangle, luckily! I also have a sister I'm very close to, so I was glad. They both love him and he loves them, but in different ways :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love re-tellings that don't follow the original too closely. If it's too close I might as well just read the original.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this fairy tale retelling. The characters were amazingly strong and interesting. I've heard that Sweetly is really good too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0