Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:19

Review 54. Susanne Winnacker – The weepers/The other life.

The Other Life (The Other Life, #1)Title: The weepers/The other life.
Author: Susanne Winnacker.
Pages: 315.
Published: May 15th 2012 / February 1st 2012.
Publisher:  Marshall Cavendish / Usborne.
Sort: Part one of 'The other life.'
Source: Netgalley & the publisher.
3 years, 1 month, 1 week and 6 days since I’d seen daylight. One-fifth of my life. 98,409,602 seconds since the heavy, steel door had fallen shut and sealed us off from the world. Sherry has lived with her family in a sealed bunker since things went wrong up above. But when they run out of food, Sherry and her dad must venture outside. There they find a world of devastation, desolation...and the Weepers: savage, mutant killers. When Sherry's dad is snatched, she joins forces with gorgeous but troubled Joshua - an Avenger, determined to destroy the Weepers. But can Sherry keep her family and Joshua safe, when his desire for vengeance threatens them all?
Rating:

1,139 days under the ground in their bunker. They just ate their last food. Their grandfather is in the fridge, because he died a couple of days ago. They haven’t showered for months and father and mother always fight. These are the conditions Sherry lives in together with her family.

“1,139 days since I’d seen daylight.
Only 2 minutes since we’d run out of food.”


That’s when her father decides it’s enough. They are locked, because of the rabies. It should not take so long, the government promised to deal with the problem within a couple of weeks. They also promised to tell them when it was safe. There is still no news, so her father wants to go and find food. Sherry wants to join him.

The world outside is not a pretty picture. The city looks horrible and there is not a soul on the street. Almost every bunker they find is empty. What happened while they were in their bunker? It seemed like there were bombs, but why would the government do such a thing? No time to wonder for answers. They must find food and they come across a store. That’s when the story really begin.

They are attacked by two rabies and Sherry can escape, but when she returns, there is no sight of her father and she is saved by a boy called Joshua. He takes her to a special place where he survives with other people, like Geoffrey the scientist. He tells her something shocking, something she’d never suspected, but there is no time to stand still by these new facts. Sherry must safe her father from ‘The weepers’ and she must return to get her other family members. Will she make it in time or is everything lost?

I really like the story and the way it went towards the end. Perhaps it’s just me, but I never saw that coming! I was stunned by the climax of this story and that made this book very powerful.

Things I liked.
-The fact that the story reveals itself piece by piece. The story builds up towards the end and you don’t get disappointed when you finally find out what’s going on. The climax was amazing.
-Sherry, I really liked this girl. She is determined to find and safe her father. She doesn't develops a lot in the story, but she was a nice character.
-The writing style was easy, flowing and fast-paced. I liked the constant tension of the rabies. Especially the part when they breach into their Safe Haven.
-The Rabies or, as they call them, The weepers. The fact that they are intelligent is so scary! They aren’t just craving for flesh, they still use their mind.

Things I disliked.
-The little lines saying how many days she didn’t see this or didn’t ate that. In the beginning, I felt like it was effective to show how many days she was locked under the ground. After that, it became a bit annoying.
-The love interest. I couldn’t understand Sherry’s feelings toward the guy. He never showed the same interest in her. Better yet, he was rude sometimes. And suddenly, they had some kind of relationship.

Conclusion.
I think that this book is highly recommendable. I enjoyed myself during the reading and some parts were really tense and scary. Yes, this story is not perfect. There are a couple of flaws, but it was good enough to help me forget those little mistakes. And that is what reading is all about, isn't it :); simply enjoying a story.

9 comments:

  1. I didn't like the love interest either I think it was just unnecessary. I see you're in a zombie kick! Yay! You should read Rhiannon Frater's! I enjoyed this one too even though it was a bit short. I agree with everything you mention :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI MEELLL!!!!! I'm back from vacation!! How are you??? Hurray!! You're a zombie fan too!!! LOL We should totally make a club for us zombie lovers. This book seems really great! it's so cool that the zombies can actually think and are not portrayed as just brain-dead people craving human flesh, like they often are in other zombie books. Lovely review, Mel! I've really missed your awesome reviews!! :')

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Giselle, Rhiannon's books are high on my wishlist after reading your reviews! And yeah, I'm in a zombie mood at the moment :D

    @The Teen Book Guru, I'm so glad that you are back! I'm fine, I hope you had a wonderful vacation ^^ Zombie fans unite! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEEEE Mel! I've heard of The Other Life and it sounds really amazing! I've never actually properly read the summary and when I did, I think I really need to read the book soon! I loved reading your review starting from the things you liked and disliked, Mel! I love climax that's done brilliantly it makes the book powerful too ;)

    Awesome review, Mel! ♥ Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad that the love interest was a guy that you could not connect with, but it is understandable if he was rude to her and didn't seem to have the same feelings. There sounds like plenty to love about the book though and I am excited to give it a try. It is important for me to like a MC. Thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a feeling that this is going to be one of the books I need consecutive hours put aside for -- whenever there's great build-up to an epic climax, I always find myself unable to put it down! x) Wow, I've heard some CRAZY mixed things about this, but your review just sold me on it -- I hope I love it as much as you do! I think I can overlook the love interest if the rest is awesome ;)

    Amazing review, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness me O_O sounds like a high-wrung and tense story! Fantastic review! I liked your clean and straight-to-it points <3 And yes, that is what entertainment reading is all about!!! Well said, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Celine, thank you so much! ^^ I'm glad you liked the review!
    @FABR Steph, I could really overlook the not-interesting love interest, because there is so much more going on :)
    @Mimi, Ohhhhh, I really hope you'll love it as much as I did! I read a lot of negative things about it, so it can go either ways. I decided to give it a try and I'm so glad I did it :)
    @Vivian, glad you liked it! I always try to find ways to make my reviews as good as possible ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this book too, Mel. It was a fun and suspenseful read. I love most zombie books I read though. The love interest didn't bother me. I think if you're in the end of the world situation having someone nearby going through the same things as you automatically draws you together. I think this is what these two had. Great review. So glad you loved it as much as I did. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0