Thursday, July 12, 2012 02:35

Review 52. Janet Lee Carey - Dragonswood.

DragonswoodTitle: Dragonswood.
Author
: Janet Lee Carey.
Pages: 407.
Published
: January 5th 2012.
Publisher: Dial.
Sort: Stand alone, but Dragon's keep is in the same world.
Wilde Island is not at peace. The kingdom mourns the dead Pendragon king and awaits the return of his heir; the uneasy pact between dragons, fairies, and humans is strained; and the regent is funding a bloodthirsty witch hunt, hoping to rid the island of half-fey maidens. Tess, daughter of a blacksmith, has visions of the future, but she still doesn't expect to be accused of witchcraft, forced to flee with her two best friends, or offered shelter by the handsome and enigmatic Garth Huntsman, a warden for Dragonswood. Tess soon learns about her true father, making her the center of an exciting, romantic adventure, and an ancient prophecy that will bring about peace between all three races - dragon, human, and fairy.
Rating

Looking for something sweet with a strong heroin? This is the book you want to read. I must admit that I fell in love with the cover, but the inside is just as pretty!

“Even if he was a thief, he was my thief. I could not push him away anymore.”

Summary.
This story is all about Tess, a daughter from a blacksmith and a woman with no backbone. Her father is abusive, but Tess still remains strong, determined and intelligent. She is drawn to the woods, although it's forbidden to enter. That's the reason she is accused of witch craft and she is tortured. She told the witch hunter that her best friends Meg and Poppy went with her into the woods. The three girls must flee and they live in the forest. Not the safest place, with all the dragons and faeries in it. Still, Tess isn't afraid and she is always trying to make the best of it. She feels really guilty for betraying her friends and she wants to do anything in the world to make it right.

Conclusion.
Tess is a wonderful girl. Very loyal to her friends. Even when she is desperately looking for affection, she never backs away from her own opinion. When she finds out about a secret her mother kept from her, her whole world changes. She finally understand her desire to be in the Dragonwoods.
Garth was also a nice character, even when I couldn't read his mind. He felt distant in the beginning, but that's what makes him so interesting. He is mysterious and I liked how I got to know him better. He grew on me.

Poppy was a bit 'dumb'. She was very sweet and described as incredibly handsome, but she wasn't bright. I loved the fact that she followed her heart, though.

This story has every element you could ask for. I love the feeling this book gave me. There are dragons and fairies. There is magic and romance. The story tackles a difficult subject (abusive father), but manages to show us that you have to fight. Never let anyone bring you down. The words are flowing and it's such a smooth and easy writing. I certainly can't wait to read other books from this author.

Definitely read this one if you like fairytales! This book has the same feeling to it.

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

12 comments:

  1. Ohh so this review has made me want to try out this book! I don't think I would have tried it otherwise but if you're rating it so high it must be a good book! And I love fairytales haha.

    Jordon @ Miss Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yay! I love me some fairy tales! Definitely adding this to the list! thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel, I think you're hazardous for my health! Everyone has been hinting about how awesome this book is but I've managed to still put it off... UNTIL NOW! Oh my goshness, your reviews is amazing! I love that Tess is loyal and awesome and isn't afraid to speak her mind -- she sounds a bit like many bloggers we know, right?? :') LOL I love witch books and I love fairytale-like books, so that's a double win right there!

    Amazing review, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate it when the book description spoils things. Thanks for changing it. Glad you enjoyed this tale Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Missbookreviews, I'm glad that I could persuade you to read this book! It's really good and like I said: if you love fairytales, you'd definitely love this one ^^
    @Lauren, you are welcome! I'm glad that you're going to read this one.
    @Mimi, HA, than you know how I feel everything I visit your blog! :D Giving me new books to my never ending list, even when I didn't plan reading them :p Go for it! :D
    @Rachel, you are welcome. I hate that too, so I decided that I had to change it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fell in love with the cover of this one a long time ago. I need to read it. It sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review Mel! I loved this one too =D and Garth was amazing! *yum* *blush* XDD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, ive heard mix reviews about this book before but from your point of view I do think that I will enjoy this, I love magics and dragons and a strong female lead. Great review Mel. x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard of this book before but never actually got the chance to read it. I do think the cover is GORGEOUS though! The summary also sounds really interesting. I hope I get the chance to read this book soon ;)

    Awesome review, Mel! ♥ So glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh I'm glad you enjoyed this one because I always pass it by when I see it in the store!
    ------
    Giselle from booknerd.ca
    Stacking the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was actually on the fence about reading this one but ahh, you're review has fully convinced me to let go of my doubts! Tess sounds like an amazing protaganist and Garth... well, I always do love the mysterious types hehe :P Fantastic review, Mel! x)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this one on my shelf but haven't picked it up yet! But if it sounds like a fairytale then totally count me in! Thanks for the great review and I'm totally going to read this one soon!

    Rachel @ Books to Consider

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0