Thursday, June 14, 2012 15:05

Review 44. Lauren Oliver - Liesl & Po.

Liesl and PoTitle: Liesl & Po.
Author: Lauren Oliver.
Pages:  307.
Published: October 4th 2011.
Publisher: HarperCollins.
Sort: Stand alone.
Liesl lives in a tiny attic bedroom, locked away by her cruel stepmother. Her only friends are the shadows and the mice—until one night a ghost appears from the darkness. It is Po, who comes from the Other Side. Both Liesl and Po are lonely, but together they are less alone. That same night, an alchemist's apprentice, Will, bungles an important delivery. He accidentally switches a box containing the most powerful magic in the world with one containing something decidedly less remarkable. Will's mistake has tremendous consequences for Liesl and Po, and it draws the three of them together on an extraordinary journey.
Rating:

First of all, I love the cover! So many details on it. And there are also many pretty pictures inside the book. It was a nice experience for me, because I don't have many books with drawings in them :)

Liesl has been locked in the attic since her father has fallen ill. After his dead, she gets an uninvited guest: a ghost called Po and his pet Bundle. They are both lonely, so they are developing some sort of friendship. Her father is on 'the other side' and he can't cross. It's up to Liesl to save his soul by taking his ashes to a place with nice memories; their old house.

Liesl can escape with the help of Po, but she doesn't know that she takes the most powerful magic in the world with her. A boy called Will, accidentally switched the two boxes and the ash of her father ise now in the hands of another evil woman. Liesl, Po and Will are on an journey and who knows how it's going to end? There are a lot of people chasing the three of them, but there is one character I really liked: Mo. He is a bit simple, but oh so sweet. He is chasing Will, because he wants to give the boy a hat, how cute? He crosses the whole country for it.

This is one of the first children books I read in a long time and I liked it! The characters aren't so well developed as in YA or adult books, but it was an interesting story. I don't know if I would recommending buying this one, but you'd definitely need to read this one :)
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

19 comments:

  1. I loved this book, despite the age audience. And the cover is so cute.(:
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such a lovely book! Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel!!!
    I bought this book last year and I still havent read it. However, I will definitely read it before I get to The Spindlers.
    Dear, Im so glad you enjoyed this book, I will definitely move it up in my list :)

    thnx for sharing such wonderful thoughts!
    muah ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one that's been on my TBR list for awhile now. I won't be buying it because MG is cute but often too simplistic for me. I'll be getting it from the library....one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love love LOVE the cover and illustrations for this book too! I seriously wanted to buy my own copy just so I could keep them on my shelf; the cover under the dust jacket was especially gorgeous. And like you, I think this was one of the first children's books I've read! (Well, as a non-child since I've read more when I was a kid, of course LOL) Isn't it such a perfect place to start? I agree that the characters may not have been as developed, but they were still as blast to read about :)

    Beaaaaaaaaaaaaaautiful review for a beautiful book, Mel! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. great review mel
    the cover is so awesome
    sad i disliked it
    ppl differ

    awesome writing style

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you liked this one! I think it sounds pretty cute as well, and yay for books with pictures in them. It's always a fun addition since I don't read too many books for younger kids, so I'm not used to it anymore.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, this book sounds very cute! <3 I think I'm going to enjoy it from the way you describe it, Mel! <3 Mo seems like a very adorable character. You're right, it's so sweet that he chases after Will because he wishes to give him a hat. x)

    Lovely review, Mel! <3 I'm going to check out this book later. x)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wasn't this so cute and magical!? I really enjoyed it and glad you did too it was also one of the first MG book I read in a while and they can really be just as good as any YA!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous review Mel sweetie! At first I didn't really like the sound of this MG book, but after reading Oliver's Delirium, I was completely sold!! Now I will read anything and everything by her! She's awesome! So I definitely cannot wait to read this. I just have to get through my enormous TBR pile first! :P Sorry to hear that you weren't quite fond of the way the characters were developed though... But the storyline seems great! :) awesome review, Mel!! You just reminded me of a book that I had long forgotten about reading!! :')

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Ria, I'm always glad that I can enjoy these books, even when they are supposed to be read by other ages ^^
    @Nicola, thanks ^^
    @Natalia, I'm so jealous that you have The Spindlers! That book also has a great cover :D
    @Jenny, you should! :) It's worth at least one read.
    @Mimi, I would buy this book just for the cover and the pretty pictures <3 I'm going to remember this one for my children later, haha. I really would like them to read such a great little story ^^
    @Roro, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like it! But indeed, everybody has it's own opinion.
    @Lauren, me neither. I haven't read MG books for ages now, but I think I'll give them a try more.
    @Hilda, yeah, Mo has to be one of my favourites in this book :D
    @Tinkerbell, it is!
    @Giselle, cute and magical, those are the right words to describe this book.
    @The Teen Book Guru, thaaaaanks! :D I hope you can work your TBR pile away (I know the problem :p)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've heard really good things about this book, but I haven't hard to urge to read it yet. The cover IS very pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review, Mel! I didn't know if I'd read this but you've made it sound fantastic! And I agree, the cover is lovely, like an old-style fairy tale book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sort of stay away from middle grade books, but your review definitely makes me want to reconsider! After all, I do love Lauren Oliver... Goodness, it seems like I'll have to read this book soon! Wonderful review, Mel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Christy, then you should wait until you can't wait to read it ^^
    @Vegan YA nerds, then I did a good job! :D
    @Sophia, perhaps you should go and give it a try! I also hestitated a bit before this one, but I'm glad I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the cover too! I think this was a sweet children's story and Lauren's inspiration for it was very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will have to read this soon! I don't read nearly as many childrens books as YA, but Lauren Oliver is one of my favourite authors. Great review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I liked this book a lot. The illustration is incredible. I also love the trailer. It is magical! Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0