Monday, June 11, 2012 20:28

Review 43. Anne Greenwood Brown - Lies beneath.

Author: Anne Greenwood Brown.
Pages: 303.
Expected publication: June 12th 2012 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers.
Sort: Part one of Lies Beneath.
Source: Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me this e-ARC.
Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough—especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistable good looks and charm on ususpecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily—just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.
Rating

Forget sweet little mermaids. And definitely don't picture The little mermaid Ariel when you think about this book. Mermaids are murderous creatures who feed on humans; killing them by taking their energy and emotions away. They have irresistible good looks, they can hypnotize you with their eyes, they can transform into humans they have other tricks to make them even more dangerous. 

There is only one boy who is trying to resist his urge to kill people and that's Calder. He lives with his three sisters - Maris, Parvati and Tallulah - in the cold waters of Lake Superior. He likes the warm waters better, so whenever he has the chance, he will go away. Unfortunately, he is bound to his sisters by a bond only Maris can break. And if he wants that, he will have to pay a price.

Years ago, their mother died because of Tom Hancock. She saved his life and he promised his son Jason as a payment. Right after that, Tom moved away with his family, leaving their mother to suffer. This year, Tom died and Jason returned to his family's homestead. The sisters are planning to kill him, so they can collect the payment. There is only one problem: Jason fears the water, so they have to come up with a plan to lure him into the waters. That's how Calder can get his freedom. He must seduce Hancock's daughter. Only Calder screws up, because he falls for Lily.

Can he resist her, so he can get his freedom? Or will he follow his heart?

Things I liked.
One thing I really liked was the whole new look I got from mermaids. I love the little mermaid and that's how I always saw them. Until now. From the three sisters, Maris must be the scariest one. She is filled with hate and she has no mercy. She wants Jason to suffer, while he is innocent. You have Parvati, who likes to play with her victims before she takes their lives and Talullah; don't get fooled by her innocence.


Lily has a great personality. She likes to wear clothes that makes her different; unique. She resists Calder and I appreciated that. It's not that she went all crazy and swoony over his good looks. Instead of that, she admits that he freaks her out and that he is creepy. She is so right! I would be scared in her place. Calder keeps popping up around her and nobody seems to know this guy. I liked how their feelings developed, because Lily wants to learn more about him before she let herself fall in love with him.
Calder is a great guy, because he really tries to resist his instincts. He doesn't want to be a monster and I'm glad that he found a way to deal with it. Isn't it great that we have a male POV? 

I also liked the ending. It was something I didn't expected and it makes me anxious for the next book. I wouldn't say it's a cliff hanger, but it certainly makes you excited!

Things I didn't like.
The characters were great, the story line was good, but there were still two things that bothered me. I never felt like I connected with Calder or Lily. We get to look through the eyes of Calder, so Lily her thoughts and feelings are far away. I never felt like I really knew her. It was great that he was the POV, because that's not something we read all the time, but he still felt a little distance. As if he was trying to shield his real thoughts away from me (something mermaids can do, by the way.) Yeah, this was my main dislike. No connection. 



Besides that, there was something missing.. I can't put my finger on it, but I think you know what I mean. Just the feeling that the story lacks of something important. Just one thing that makes the difference between a good book and a fantastic book.

If you like mermaids and you are looking for an original approach, than this is definitely something for you. If you're not a fan of mermaids, I don't think that this book will make you fall in love with them. 




author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

14 comments:

  1. Awesome review. I thought the same about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, I'm SO intrigued about this book right now! I've read more mermaid books in the past few months than I have in my whole life (two) and I would love to make that three! x) I love how this one is told from a male POV -- yay for that! -- and how Calder is a monster but doesn't want to be. I think it'll be so interesting to see how he deals with it! Even though you couldn't connect with the characters, this sounds like a pretty great read :)

    Amazing honest review, Mel! I love how you split it up into likes and dislikes -- so clever! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though you felt there was something missing, I'm glad to hear this book puts an interesting twist on mermaids. It's pretty difficult for mermaid books to stand out but this one sounds pretty unique. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyaa! great review my dear!! it sounds like a good mermaid book! plus it has a male POV!! so Im IN!

    thnx for sharing sweetheart! love your reviews ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would really like to read this book but it does sound a bit up and down. I love great characters and character building so maybe I won't like this one. I do like the twist on mermaids being violent and murderous...less Little Mermaid more merpeople from Harry Potter! I'll have to try it and see x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the different spin on mer-people that this book takes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness Mel, what a great review!!! I have been wanting to read this book for SO LONG now!! It seems like a really dark and twisted spin on mermaids, so I am veery intrigued!! ;) But I don't know if I'm going to read it because I don't want it to ruin the image of sweet little Ariel and Sebastian the crab. But, I guess I have to take risks... -.-

    Sorry to hear you couldn't connect with the characters though, Mel sweetie!! I hate it when that happens, because the characters play such a huge part in whether or not a person likes a book. Fabulous review, Mel!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, Mel. I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on this one. But I am still looking forward to reading it in the future, I was a big Little Mermaid fan myself (my daughter loves it too), so I am glad it's a different take on mermaids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'M super fed up with mermaid books right now. I always feel underwhelmed after I read one and I decided to skip this one. And honestly all the reviews haven'T motivated me to read it either they all seem to reflect what you thought of it. Especially the lack of connection which for me is an automatic fail. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, the synopsis and idea of this is drawing me in so bad; it sounds amazing! It's a pity you didn't get to connect with the characters, but the story-line itself is too original for me to *not* want to read.
    Awesome review.(:

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I so agree with you about the whole 'something was missing' thing. It was good and the characters were likable, but it didn't have that one thing to make it absolutely amazing! But like you, I really liked Lily because of how she just straight out told Calder that he was creeping her out! XD Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i felt the same way
    some parts were a bit lacking

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure if I want to read this as most mermaid-themed books let me down but I enjoyed your review. I also get not feeling connected to the characters, it can be a real let down!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Kate, thanks for stopping by ^^
    @Mimi, it is a pretty good read if you take the disconnection away! It wasn't bothering me so much that I decided to stop reading, so that's a good sign. And male POV woehoehoe!
    @Sam, it was very unique indeed! I really appreciated that.
    @Natalia, ahhh, thanks ^^
    @Pocketful of books, you should give it a try! Perhaps you can connect with the characters :D
    @Tinkerbell, I liked that too :)
    @The teen book guru, I certainly look different to Ariel now, haha. And thanks for the compliment!
    @Carly, different takes on subjects are always a plus for me.
    @Giselle, that's something I don't like in a book either. I really want to connect with a character, but it wasn't so bad that I couldn't read the book.
    @Ria, you should definitely go and read this one! Connection with characters is something personal, so I hope you can find a connection!
    @Kim, precisely! :D
    @Roro, thanks for stopping by.
    @Vegan, glad you enjoyed my review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0