Saturday, June 09, 2012 15:16

Review 42. Julie Kagawa - The immortal rules.

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)
Title: The immortal rules.
Author: Julie Kagawa.
Pages: 485. 
Published:  April 24th 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Sort: Part one of 'The immortal rules.'
Source: Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a copy! add to goodreads
In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity. Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die or become one of the monsters. Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad. Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike. But it isn’t easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.
Rating:

I don't know where to begin, because I'm afraid that I am going to repeat myself over and over again about how wonderful this book is. This might be the best vampire book I've read so far and Julie made me fall in love all over again with vampires. Let me tell you more about this amazing story. I'm going to do my best to temper my love.

This book is dark. Vampires rule the world in huge cities, which are scattered all around the world. In between, there is nothing else than rabids, so you don't want to leave your city. Allison - also called Allie - lives in one of those huge cities in the Fringe and she is an Unregistered person. Together with Rat, Lucas and Stick (Stephen) she tries to stay alive. Being an Unregistered means that you don't exist, so they don't get food and shelter. On the other hand, they don't have to give their blood on blood day.


Allie saves Sticks life, but now she is dying. When the vampire she met the other day gives her the choice, she chooses to become the thing she hates most. From that moment, she is a vampire and the one who created her - Kanin - becomes her teacher. And I don't know why, but I found Kanin very attractive, haha.

“You are a monster.” Kanin’s deep voice droned in my head again, as I forced myself to move, to walk away. “You will always be a monster, there is no turning back from it. But what type of monster you become is entirely up to you.”

I really liked the information Kanin gives Allie. We get to know more about the vampires and their lives. The information was well-written and it made the story complete. It helped with the amazing world building. We also find out that Kanin is not just a vampire, but a very important one and the Master of the city is looking for him. When they need to escape, Allie must leave Kanin behind and she flees outside the city into some kind of desert. He comes in the hand of Sarren, a vampire we met before and that's a creep! Oh my, he really made me feel scared.

Allie is an amazing character. Perhaps one of the most believable characters I've come across this year. I really could understand why she choose to become a vampire. When you are faced with dead, I think everybody will try to escape that, even if it means that you have to become a 'monster'. She handles it very well and she is not a cry-baby. She is trying to make the best out of her situation and I admire that. She is also very brave and the fact that she keeps her human feelings is wonderful. The way Zeke and Allie are growing to each other, while she is trying to keep away from his, is nicely done. It's no instant love.

There are a lot of great side characters, something I always like in a story. There is always a certain tension in this book. When they are travelling, they always look out for the rabids. Then the Raiders pop up and you find out about Jeb's secret. There is always something happening, that's why this book never fails to grab your attention.

Yeah, you could say that I LOVE LOVE this book. And Allie fights with a Katana, how great is that? So, go to the store and buy this book! You won't regret it and believe me: this book will end before you know it and you will regret that it went so fast. I certainly can't wait for the next book. Oh, I'm still blown away. It was SO good.

10 comments:

  1. Amazing review, Mel! I'm so glad you enjoyed this book too. I also loved the fact there were great side characters and Allie is a new favourite of mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll admit I skimmed your review just a bit. I didn't want to ruin anything for myself. I'm excited to get to this book because it sounds rather original which is impressive, considering it's a vampire book. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't Julie amazing?? I think that this was one of the best vampire books I've ever read too! And I keep asking myself the same question about whether or not I'd become a vampire in Allie's position, but I think you're totally right -- if you have to choose between death and immortality, one definitely overshadows the other! :P

    Beautiful and exciting review, Mel!! Let's both hope that the second book is as mind-blowingly awesome as this one! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Mel! I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would. I also like how Allie didn't feel sorry for herself and tries to make the best of the situation. I was glad it wasn't an insta-love and they ended up falling for each other, even though they didn't want to. I can't wait to see what happens next. Hopefully we'll get more Kanin too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone keeps raving about this book, it seems. I guess I really must read it now. I do still love vampire books when they are different and just interesting in some way! Glad this one works. I haven't read anything by the author yet, so I think I might start with this one.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally MUST buy this book now! Awesome review! I actually haven't read a vampire book in a while probably because the whole vampire craze kind of died down and I sort of fell out of love with them too... Hopefully this will get me back falling in love with vampires again as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sam, I count Allie as one of my favourites as well :D
    @Jenny, I always try to watch out, so I don't think I spoiled too much. Sorry if that's the case! I was suprised by the fact that she made it so original indeed.
    @Mimi, this is my first book from Julie and I'll read her other books very soon! I hope the second one will be as good as this one, because better is impossible :p
    @Rachel, I was sooo glad that there was no instant love. That can really spoil a story and I hope we get to know Kanins past. That would be interesting.
    @Shooting Stars Mag, this author is new for me too and I've fallen in love with her writing style, so this one is great to begin with ^^
    @Cleo, yeah, you should! :D Believe me, vampires will become your love again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also LOVED LOVED this novel :) I think Allie is a badass character and the fact that she fights with a Katana makes me like her even more! But besides that we can really connect to her feelings and understand the why behind her decisions. The romance was certainly fascinating with religion and society coming between them. Can't wait for the next one! Hopefully we will see more of Kanin!

    Rachel @ Books to Consider

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely LOVE Julie Kagawa! I love all her books and this one was awesome too!! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooh nice review! my sister read it and LOVED it too!
    aah i need to read it! and I love believable characters so thats awesome!

    - juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0