Saturday, June 02, 2012 14:24

Review 40. Carrie Ryan - The forest of hands and teeth.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1)Title: The forest of hands and teeth.
Author: Carrie Ryan.
Pages: 323.
Published: March 1st 2010
Publisher: Gollancz.
Sort: Part one of 'The forest of hands and teeth.'
In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?
 Rating:

I re-read this book, because I bought the third  and last book about a week ago. I want to refresh my memory. I still loved it, maybe even more than the first time! There is so much tension and action in this book, but we also get to meet romance and friendship.

Short version:
Mary has to leave the safety of her village and is plunged into a world filled with Unconsecrated. She has to leave The forest of hands and teeth. Is there somewhere a place to start a new life?

I just LOVE this book. If you haven't read it, go and do it! What are you waiting for? This book has everything you possibly can ask for. Mary is a wonderful character and the story never gets boring. There are so many things going on without overwhelming you. The ending is perfect: everything seems to fall together, but you still want to read the next one. Finding out how this story will continue.


Spoilerish version:

"One of those days when you can't understand why there is such a beauty in a world that is nothing but ugly."

Mary lives with her mother and brother Jed in a village surrounded by The forest of hands and teeth. Her father dissapeared and everybody knows his fate: he is an Unconsecrated now, a zombie. Her mother keeps believeing that he is alive and her days are filled with staring at the forest. Mary has a best friend, Cassie, and the two brothers Harry and Travis. She is in love with Travis, but Harry has his eyes on her. When her mother is infected, Mary gives her the choice: become an Unconsecrated or die. Her mother wants to be together with her father, so she wants to become an Unconsecrated. Her brother is so mad at Mary, that he throws her out of the house and she must become a Sister.

The Sisterhood is the leader of the village, followed by The Guardians. It's not something Mary wants to become. It means that she must give up asking questions and she is filled with them. Are the stories her mother told her true? She longs to see the ocean and the cities with buildings high in the sky. Is there a world outside?

"I can't be your second-choice dream."

I just LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. It was my first zombie book ever and it made me fall in love with this genre. Mary is a wonderful character. She isn't afraid to believe in her dreams and to follow them. And yes, she is selfish, but aren't we all sometimes? Don't we all want the one we love in our life? These flaws makes her real, a person. You have Travis, a real sweetheart with a lot of courage. His dead did something with me. I almost cried. I'm glad that Mary finally saw the ocean she longs for. The zombies are terrifying. I liked the description: it made them so vivid and scary. Without a doubt, a favourite of mine.

11 comments:

  1. This was also my first zombie book and i really enjoyed it! I'm glad you got the 3rd because it's definitely the BEST of the series so freaking exciting and zombilicious!! The MC is also the best of the 3. Great review! I was also heartbroken when he died! It was a really powerful scene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Great review Mel!! <3 I cried when Travis died. Like, literally. Carrie Ryan's books are just so magical and amazing! She makes the reader (ok, me) feel so much emotion and it's just ridiculous! But, like, in a good way! :P This book made me love Zombie books too, whereas before I didn't really care for them. Awesome sauce review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made my heart broke tooooo... I can't believe the author made Travis die :( awesome review!

    Btw, I'm holding my very very first giveaway on my blog, I would love for you to join. Go! *urges*

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Giselle, now I really can't wait to read the second one, so I can start it. I thought this one was amazing, so if the last one is even better :D

    @The Teen Book Guru: I know exactly what you mean! You really live inside the book :D

    @Sel, I will take a look, thanks for letting me know ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good review! It's always fun to read reviews by people who had a different reading experience with a book. I hated this one, and when I say hated I mean it was my worst book of 2011. It's good that you enjoyed it, though! Maybe I'll get a view of the other two books at some point through your blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. MEL!! <3 I'm pretty sure that this was the first zombie book too and I'm really glad you liked it as much as you did! Wasn't is one of the most crazy-dark books you ever read? And I actually loved that she was selfish sometimes too because it makes her so much more realistic than all those self-sacrificing heroines out there! I like to read a mixture of both to see how they're all so different! ;)

    Amazing review, Mel! :) <3 Oh, Travis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! Maybe I'll read this after I read Enclave. :D

    Hello, Mel! I've given your blog an award. You can find it HERE. :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Rea, I always like to see other opinions about a book! It's so funny how everybody has a different taste in books. I'm sorry to hear that you hated this one so much! Perhaps I can get you so far to read the other two books :D

    @Mimi, yeah, Travis :( It really is a dark book indeed! I love the whole tension you feel throughout the entire book. And yes, that's exactly what I think! It's nice to have a heroin who doesn't sacrifice all her own feelings for her friends, because that's not realistic at all.. We all want to do stuff for ourself sometimes.

    @Edward, thanks! I hope you're going to love it as much as I did. And an award, amazing! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't find the book all that. I read somewhere that is going to be made into a movie. If it is so it will be a very good movie because the book has movie material.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book too!! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got this book on my Kobo and I only heard raving things about this series. I don't know exactly what this is about, just that is fantasy/paranormal and YA and everybody loves, so it's enough for me hahah Will come back here after finished this so I can check out the spoilery section :)
    Deyse @ http://deysesays.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0