Tuesday, May 15, 2012 16:28

Top 10 Tuesday (11) Awesomeness.


I'm going to cheat. They host the feature on The broke and the Bookish and this week we had to tell 'our top 10 authors we would like to see on a reality show.' Since I hate reality shows, I decided to do something else. I want to tell you about fairytale retellings! I'm going to show you two of my favorite ones - the ones I haven't reviewed yet. I'm going to show two I didn't like and the ones I can't wait to read :)

Favorite ones.
Snow: A Retelling of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" (Once Upon a Time)1. Tracy Lynn - Snow. I think it's pretty obvious that this story is about Snow White. It's a really nice story, where the dwarves are transformed to outcasts with animal-like behaviour and appearence.

Jessica is pale, lonely, and headstrong, and quick to learn that she has an enemy in her stepmother. "Snow," as she comes to be known, flees the estate to London and finds herself embraced by a band of urban outcasts. But her stepmother isn't finished with her, and the wicked witch threatens her very life.

The Swan Kingdom
2. Zoë Marriott - The swan kingdom. A story I love dearly. It's about the Swan princess (have you ever seen the three animation movies <3) Alexandra is a lovely character and she is very strong.

When Alexandra’s mother is slain by an unnatural beast, shadows fall on the once-lush kingdom. Too soon the widowed king is entranced by a cunning stranger — and in one chilling moment Alexandra’s beloved brothers disappear, and she is banished to a barren land.

Didn't like.
Red Riding Hood3. Sarah Blakley-Cartwright - Red riding's hood.
Alright, who comes up with the idea of writing a book WITHOUT the ending in it? I had to go to the website to read the damn ending: and the book wasn't even that good. The synopsis sounded great, the cover looked alright and Red Riding Hood can be pretty good. Not. It was actually quite boring.

The blacksmith would marry her.
The woodcutter would run away with her.
The werewolf would turn her into one of its own.


Aurelie: A Faerie Tale4. Heather Thomlinson - Aurelie: a fairytale.
There was something wrong with this book. I don't know why, but the beginning was strange and I never lost the feeling that I've missed something. I gave up after a couple of chapters and that doesn't happen very often. I guess the writing style was just not my cup of tea.

Once upon a time, three children and a little river dragon were the best of friends—until a promise was broken. Now they are almost grown up and barely speaking to one another. With her country in turmoil, Aurelie is sent on a peacekeeping mission. But how can she prevent a war when she can’t even make her friends get along? Heartsick at losing her dearest companions, especially the handsome Garin, Aurelie finds comfort in her secret, late-night trips to fairyland. But a princess can’t hide from her duties forever. Her country needs her, and so do her friends—whether they know it or not.

Can't wait to read.
5. A.G Howard - Splintered. I've featured this one in my Waiting on Wednesday before, but I have to use it again in this list. This one.. It's breaking my heart that I have to wait until 2013. Hello! 2013! That's torture.

SplinteredWhen her mother takes a turn for the worse and the whispers grow too strong for Alyssa to bear, she seeks the origins of their family curse. A set of heirlooms and a moth tied to an unusual website lead Alyssa and her gorgeous best friend / secret crush, Jeb, down the rabbit hole into the real Wonderland, a place more twisted and eerie than Lewis Carroll ever let on.

And I keep going all fan-girlish (if that's even a word) over the cover. It's so pretty!


Enchanted6. Alethea Kontis - Enchanted. The release date was may 8th, so my hands are aching to buy it, but I have to wait. I've spent enough money on books this month, but it hurts, haha.

When Sunday meets an enchanted frog who asks about her stories, the two become friends. Soon that friendship deepens into something magical. One night Sunday kisses her frog goodbye and leaves, not realizing that her love has transformed him back into Rumbold, the crown prince of Arilland—and a man Sunday’s family despises.

The Treachery of Beautiful Things7. Ruth Frances Long - The treachery of beautiful things. Another book I'm DYING to read. The cover is gorgeous, the synopsis makes me feel all jumpy and I really hate waiting.

The trees swallowed her brother whole, and Jenny was there to see it. Now seventeen, she revisits the woods where Tom was taken, resolving to say good-bye at last. Instead, she's lured into the trees, where she finds strange and dangerous creatures who seem to consider her the threat. Among them is Jack, mercurial and magnetic, with secrets of his own. Determined to find her brother, with or without Jack's help, Jenny struggles to navigate a faerie world where stunning beauty masks some of the most treacherous evils, and she's faced with a choice between salvation or sacrifice--and not just her own.

Tiger Lily
8. Jodi Lynn Anderson - Tiger Lily.
I haven't read any retellings about Peter Pan (I do have some titles waiting for me), but this one sounds intruiging! Here is just a teasing part of the synopsis.

Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily doesn't believe in love stories or happy endings. Then she meets the alluring teenage Peter Pan in the forbidden woods of Neverland and immediately falls under his spell.
I have mixed feelings about the cover. I do like the colors, but I had to look twice before I really saw what's on there.
So, I could talk all day long about fairytales and retellings, but I'm just going to keep it on 8 books. 8 is my favorite number and I have a nice balance between waiting for new loves and talking about the loved ones.

What's your list?
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

13 comments:

  1. OMG! We did the same thing! That is really neat. I don't have any of the ones you named on mine though. I am going to have to follow you because you know--great minds think a like and all that jazz.

    Beth ^_^
    http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Beth, ahhh, that is so cool! I'm going to take a lot at your blog and I'll follow you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone else did fairy tale re-tellings this week as well! I don't read many of them myself, I probably have only read a couple. I struggle with already knowing the outcome of the story. I will say that I do want to read Enchanted and Treachery though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read enchanted and tiger lily as well. I love these books that are coming out as re tellings but not from a main characters point of view. Great list! thank you for visiting my blog. liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy fairytale retellings, although I haven't heard of most of these - I'll definitely have to check them out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Enchanted and The Treachery of Beautiful Things on my TBR list. Snow looks really interesting- I think I'll have to add it to the list as well.

    Thanks for stopping by our Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh super excited for Tiger Lilly I'm a big Peter Pan fan!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jacinda, that's what I like about fairytales. Everyone makes their own twist and spin, but in the end, it's always a happy ending!

    @Liz, you're welcome!

    @Smallgirl, you definitely should take a look at them!

    @Lee, Snow is worth the read :)

    @Giselle, me too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm usually not the biggest fan of reality shows either, so I don't mind your list change at all -- because I love fairytale re-tellings so much more!!! There are a ton on your list that I haven't heard of before (which I definitely have to add), but ones like Tiger Lily are re-tellings that I'm so excited for! And my favourite book of the year is actually a fairytale re-telling of sorts. It's Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross! That book is SO. DARN. AMAZING! :')

    I love your top ten post for this week, Mel! Glad to know there's another fairytale fan out there like me! <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mimi, ahhh, that's so fantastic to hear! I always love to meet other fairytale fans :D I'm glad that I could give you some new titles! And I've actually WON a pre-order for Tiger Lily *jumpjump*. I'm going to tell about that in my next showcase sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First time I've heard of The treachery of beautiful things! But it's now on my To-Read list thanks to this post :D

    - Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like how you did Fairy tales. One of my favorites is The Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron Dokey. Older but a good story. Love the titles that you picked out for 'want to read' - they all sound wonderful. Have you read Awake by Jessica Grey? WOW! Gotta try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Kate, I still need to read that story from Dokey, but I loved her other books! :D And I never heard of that book before, so thanks! It's on my Goodreads list now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0