Monday, May 07, 2012 15:01

Showcase Sunday 1.



Since I refuse to take part of the IMM meme on The Story Siren, I found this 'Showcase Sunday' on Books, Biscuits and Tea. So from now on, that will be the meme where I show you all the books I got this week.

I received some lovely books from NetGalley!
I got my first comic and I'm really excited for this one!

The Hunchback of Notre DameTitle: The hunchback of Notre Dame.
Author: Tim Conrad.
Pages: 48.
Expected publication: July 18th 2012
Publisher: Dark horse comics.
ISBN13: 9781595829528

Tim Conrad adapts Victor Hugo's classic romance about a beautiful gypsy girl, Esmeralda, who is framed for murder by the infatuated Archdeacon of Notre Dame. Only Quasimodo, the hideously deformed bell-ringer of the cathedral, can save her.

Religious extremism, class distinction, fate, destiny, and sexual dynamics are played out in a rousing yarn of intrigue within the walls of the Parisian cathedral of Notre Dame.

* Tim Conrad's first comic book work in over twenty years!


Title: What I didn't say.
Author: Keary Taylor.
Expected publication: May 11th 2012.
ISBN: 1475156456 (ISBN13: 9781475156454)

What I Didn't SayGetting drunk homecoming night your senior year is never a good idea, but Jake Hayes never expected it all to end with a car crash and a t-post embedded in his throat.

His biggest regret about it all? What he never said to Samantha Shay. He's been in love with her for years and never had the guts to tell her. Now it's too late. Because after that night, Jake will never be able to talk again.

When Jake returns to his small island home, population 5,000, he'll have to learn how to deal with being mute. He also finds that his family isn't limited to his six brothers and sisters, that sometimes an entire island is watching out for you. And when he gets the chance to spend more time with Samantha, she'll help him learn that not being able to talk isn’t the worst thing that could ever happen to you. Maybe, if she'll let him, Jake will finally tell her what he didn't say before, even if he can't actually say it.

Wilde's Fire (Darkness Falls, #1)Title: Wilde's fire.
Author: Krystal Wade.
Pages: 299.
Expected publication:  May 13th 2012.
Publisher: Curiosity Quills Press.
ISBN13: 9781620070567
Sort: Part one of Darkness Falls.

“There is no pain in this death, only peace, knowing I am going to die with the one I love the most.”—Katriona Wilde.

Katriona Wilde has never wondered what it would feel like to have everything she’s ever known and loved ripped away, but she is about to find out. When she inadvertently leads her sister and best friend through a portal into a world she’s dreamed of for six years, she finds herself faced with more than just the frightening creatures in front of her. Kate’s forced to accept a new truth: her entire life has been a lie, and those closest to her have betrayed her. What’s worse, she has no control over her new future, and it’s full of magic and horrors from which nightmares are made. Will Kate discover and learn to control who she really is in time to save the ones she loves, or will all be lost?

Lies Beneath (Lies Beneath #1)Title: Lies beneath.
Author: Anne Greenwood Brown.
Pages: 303.
Expected publication: June 12th 2012.
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers.
ISBN: 0385742010 (ISBN13: 9780385742016)
Sort: Part one of Lies Beneath.

Calder White lives in the cold, clear waters of Lake Superior, the only brother in a family of murderous mermaids. To survive, Calder and his sisters prey on humans, killing them to absorb their energy. But this summer the underwater clan targets Jason Hancock out of pure revenge. They blame Hancock for their mother's death and have been waiting a long time for him to return to his family's homestead on the lake. Hancock has a fear of water, so to lure him in, Calder sets out to seduce Hancock's daughter, Lily. Easy enough — especially as Calder has lots of practice using his irresistible good looks and charm on unsuspecting girls. Only this time Calder screws everything up: he falls for Lily — just as Lily starts to suspect that there's more to the monsters-in-the-lake legends than she ever imagined. And just as his sisters are losing patience with him.

Glitch (Glitch, #1)Title: Glitch.
Author: Heather Anastasiu.
Pages: 320.
Expected publication: August 7th 2012.
Publisher: St. Martin's Press.
ISBN: 1250002990 (ISBN13: 9781250002990)
Sort: Part one of Glitch.

In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network. When Zoe starts to malfunction (or "glitch"), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers. As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

Title: The Immortal Rules.
Author: Julie Kagawa.
Pages: 480.
Published: April 24th 2012.
Publisher: Harlequin Teen.
ISBN: 0373210515 (ISBN13: 9780373210510)
Sort: Part one of Blood of Eden.

The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)
In a future world, Vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten. Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked—and given the ultimate choice. Die… or become one of the monsters.
Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.
Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend—a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike. But it isn’t easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what—and who—is worth dying for.


I bought these two books together for 20 euro on the market. I have them in Dutch and those covers are much prettier in my opinion :p.

11/22/63Title: 11/22/63.
Author: Stephen King.
Pages: 849.
Published: November 8th 2011.
Publisher: Scribner.
ISBN: 1451627289 (ISBN13: 9781451627282)

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed forever.

If you had the chance to change the course of history, would you?
Would the consequences be worth it?

Jake Epping is a thirty-five-year-old high school English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine, who makes extra money teaching adults in the GED program. He receives an essay from one of the students—a gruesome, harrowing first person story about the night 50 years ago when Harry Dunning’s father came home and killed his mother, his sister, and his brother with a hammer. Harry escaped with a smashed leg, as evidenced by his crooked walk.

Not much later, Jake’s friend Al, who runs the local diner, divulges a secret: his storeroom is a portal to 1958. He enlists Jake on an insane—and insanely possible—mission to try to prevent the Kennedy assassination. So begins Jake’s new life as George Amberson and his new world of Elvis and JFK, of big American cars and sock hops, of a troubled loner named Lee Harvey Oswald and a beautiful high school librarian named Sadie Dunhill, who becomes the love of Jake’s life—a life that transgresses all the normal rules of time.

Explore the Possibilities...

Title: Sanctus.
Author: Simon Toyne.
Pages: 400.
Published:  March 31st 2011.
Publisher: Harper.
ISBN: 0007391552 (ISBN13: 9780007391554)

SanctusThe certainties of the modern world are about to be blown apart by a three thousand year-old conspiracy nurtured by blood and lies …

A man throws himself to his death from the oldest inhabited place on the face of the earth, a mountainous citadel in the historic Turkish city of Ruin. This is no ordinary suicide but a symbolic act. And thanks to the media, it is witnessed by the entire world.
But few understand it. For charity worker Kathryn Mann and a handful of others in the know, it is what they have been waiting for. The cowled and secretive fanatics that live in the Citadel suspect it could mean the end of everything they have built – and they will kill, torture and break every law to stop that. For Liv Adamsen, New York crime reporter, it begins the next stage of a journey into the heart of her own identity.
And at that journey's end lies a discovery that will change EVERYTHING.


I also bought three books on Queens Day for 1 euro.
These are the Dutch versions of Mo Hayder - Ritual. Cornelia Funke - Inkheart and Kate Mosse - Labyrinth. I think the Dutch covers from Ritual and Labyrinth are better than the English versions.

RitueelHart van Inkt (Inkt #1)Het Verloren Labyrint

I also ordered a couple of books (on Thebooksdepository for the first time), but I will show them as soon as they arrive! :)

I hope you like my mailbox and leave a link to yours if you like.

b0e567371347d0115468a06
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

28 comments:

  1. Ooh Lies Beneath! I can't wait to read that one it sounds so good! Great haul, doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lies Beneath looks great. I reviewed the Immortal Rules a few weeks back--found it quite original. Enjoy your reading. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear! I'm looking forward to read that one.

      Delete
  3. Awesome week hun. So many great titles which I really enjoy you enjoy! Donna xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Inkheart. Have you ever seen the German cover? This one is great. It's called Tintenherz if you're interested.
    Great books you got there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've googled Tintenherz and it certainly is a pretty cover!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    I like the blurb for What I Didn't Say, so I'm going to put this one on my Wish List.

    I'm kinda mustering up the courage to read 11-22-63, simply because of the sheer size of it.

    Thank you for another book suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's huge right :o But I like his books and I heard some great things about it, so I decided to give it a try when I found it there :)

      And you are welcome!

      Delete
  6. Ohhhh Glitch!! That's definitely on my to-read list. I hope you like it!! What I Didn't Say also looks really sweet and emotional. I'll be checking that one out as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love some books NetGalley has. The Immortal Rules was pretty good if you like dystopia, you'll love this one. Happy reading and thanks for visiting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I like dystopia, so that will be a nice read :)

      Delete
  8. I got approved for Glitch too - cannot WAIT to read it!! :)

    I'm not a fan of King so far, but I have been wanting to read 11/22/63.

    Thank you for stopping by my book haul - and is it weird of me to be proud of other bloggers who are refusing to participate in IMM? I just think it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you got Glitch too! :D

      I think King has a really.. 'own' style, if you know what I mean. I quite like it, but I can understand that a lot of people don't.

      Haha, no, that's not weird! I have the same feeling. Seeing all the bloggers stand up for what they think is wrong :)

      Delete
  9. I'm reading the Immortal Rules at the moment, I'm about 35% done and I have to say it is brilliant. I managed to get approved for Glitch, it does sound a good one.

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on My Showcase Sunday post

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good thing to hear! :D And I'm glad that you got Glitch too.

      Delete
  10. I won't even lose my words on what a great haul that is! Looking forward to see what you think about Glitch!

    (:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to read Glitch and am looking forward to Lies Beneath and The Immortal Rules as well. Happy reading!

    Safari Poet

    New follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to read Glitch! What I Didn't Say looks pretty great too. I Hope you enjoy them all! Love that owl over on the left, by the way :)

    Thanks for stopping by Book Cover Justice!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome Showcase!
    I picked up Glitch sometime last week from Netgalley too - excited!
    Looking forward to what you think of the Hunchback comic, loved the Disney movie (:
    Thanks for stopping by Teatime Books (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great haul Mel :) !! I can't wait to know what you think of Glitch, it sounds amazing !! I got The Immortal Rules too and I can't wait to start reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh lovely haul! I will go check out The NotreDame one.

    Happy reading. Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0