Monday, May 28, 2012 12:21

Review 38. Victoria Schwab - The ash-born boy.

The Ash-Born BoyTitle: The ash-born boy.
Author: Victoria Schwab.
Pages: 61.
Published: May 15th 2012.
Publisher: Hyperion.
Sort: Prequel to 'The Near Witch.'
Before he came to Near...  Before he met Lexi... Before they faced the witch...  Who was the boy named Cole? Follow us to Dale, a city on a hill, where in a matter of days fire will devour everything. Meet the Lord and Lady, and their son, the boy destined to inherit all...until everything turns to ash. It's time to learn the truth behind the stranger's story.
Rating

Robert’s fingers dug in. “I will bleed this temper out of you one cut at time if I have to. Do you understand?”

Before Cole met Lexi, he was William Dale. Robert isn't his real father and it's a monster. William is capable of using the wind, but according to Robert it is something dangerous and it must bleed out of his body. His arms are filled with scars from the cuts he has to make. His mother doesn't agree with this method, but she accepts it silently. It made me wonder why she cares so much about Robert, but the two of them seemed to love each other very much. That's also something William doesn't understand.

When his mother dies, Robert blames him for her death. That's when William's rage finally comes out and it destroys the complete village. It turns everything to ash and that's when he comes to Near.

It's a short story, only 61 pages, but I wished there was more! It was a wonderful story about a troubled boy, especially when he destroys the city. I really like Victoria's writing style, so for me, it was a shame that the story ended so soon. I definitely can't wait to read more books from this gifted author.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

6 comments:

  1. I cannot wait for more from Victoria Schwab - I just LOVED The AshBorn Boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent read The Near Witch yet sniff! but Im totally diving into this one first =DDD I had no idea there was a short prequel for the book, plus it sounds very good =)

    thnx so much for sharing this review^.^
    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a stunning cover! It's so simple that it's eye-catching, and I literally spent the last few minutes trying to decipher what it actually was LOL x) I haven't read The Near Witch before, but it's on my wish list and you just reminded me that I need to get to it soon! I actually really like reading mini-novellas because they give us another chance to connect with our characters, but sometimes I DO wish that they were a little longer too!

    Beautiful honest review, Mel! Since it's only 61 pages, I think I'll definitely have to give it a shot! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I didn't realize there was a prequel! I'm excited to read it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds really cute. I'm not big on short stories but when they're related to full length books I like to read them

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Erica, me too!
    @Natalia, go read it, quickly! :D It's a very good book.
    @Mimi, the cover is stunning indeed. I like how simple it is. You definitely need to read The near witch soon!
    @Karen, you are welcome!
    @Giselle, I'm not a fan of short stories either, but this one is a nice extra touch :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0