Review 28. Cameron Dokey - Sunlight and shadow.

Sunlight and Shadow: A Retelling of
Title: Sunlight and shadow: a retelling of the magic flute.
Author: Cameron Dokey.
Pages: 192.
Published: August 16th 2011. (First published July 6th 2004) by Simon Pulse.
Sort: Stand alone in the ‘Once upon a time’ serie.

Mina was born on the longest night of the darkest month of the year. When her father looked at her, all he saw was what he feared: By birth, by name, by nature, she belonged to the Dark. So when Mina turned sixteen, her father took her away from shadow and brought her into sunlight. In retaliation, her mother lured a handsome prince into a deadly agreement: If he frees Mina, he can claim her as his bride. Now Mina and her prince must endure deadly trials -- of love and fate and family -- before they can truly live happily ever after....
Rating: 

And, in this way, the world was made complete, for light was joined to dark.”

I really like Cameron Dokey her books. The stories are loosely based on the fairytales we know and I always like the twist she gives them. Unfortunately, I wasn’t so enthusiastic about this one. I must admit: the fairytale about the magic flute is new to me. Never heard of it before, but in this book, there is hardly any flute. We hear a lot about a boy who can play with bells – and they are magical, because they can play the sound of someone’s heart. He uses them to summon the boy of Mina's heart.

“A home is a place one’s heart creates and so recognizes as it’s own.”

I liked the idea, but I never connected to the characters in the book. It’s not that Mina is a terrible main character, but I also disliked her in some way. The characters felt a bit too flat for me. So, if you are planning to read a book from Dokey – and you should do that, because her other books are great! – don’t start with this one :)

b0e567371347d0115468a06

2 comments

  1. I'm actually planning on reading some of her books. I think I'll start with Spirited (Beauty and the Beast).
    I never heard of 'the magical flute' either, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to research the story behind 'the magical flute' I love finding out new stories.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.