Wednesday, May 16, 2012 18:09

Review 33. Carrie Jones – Need.

Need (Need, #1)Title: Need.
Author: Carrie Jones.
Pages: 306.
Published: December 23rd 2008.
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA.
Sort: Part one of Need.
Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now. She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.
Rating

Spoilers if you haven't read this book!

This book is hard to review, since I have no idea how I really feel about it. Zara is, most of the time, a nice character. She is forced to live with her grandmother after the death of her (step)father. Her mother thinks it's better for her to change environment. Zara feels like her mother is abandoning her and I hated the way she acts towards her mom. She is trying to fix the situation. Zara doesn't answer the phone calls and if she does, she's mean and harsh.

When Zara finds out some stranger is stalking her, her grandmother puts Nick on duty: he must keep an eye on Zara. Not that it bothers her, since she has a slight crush on Nick. He is nice to her and his looks are fine, so he has her interest. Then you have Issie, I loved that girl. She is a bit goofy, but so sweet. Devon, a guy in a wheel chair, Ian - another hottie according to Zara - and Megan, a popular girl who hates her guts right away. Devon and Issie are researching about the stalker and right away, they believe a Pixie King has set his eyes on Zara. I don't know about you, but that would be the last thing I would come up with.. They are so certain about it and Zara believes them: not 100%, but she keeps it in mind.

When Zara points at the stalker when she comes home with Nick - because in the end, Issie and Devon are right - she finds out that Nick is a shape shifter. He can transform himself into wolf. And by the way, her grandmother is a tiger. Not to mention that her real father is the one who has been stalking her, yup, the Pixie King. Great! *I hope you can feel the sarcasm over here* Apparently, he wants her mother back, because he is losing his power over the other Pixies. Her mother comes for the rescue, but Zara can't let that happen. Even when she is acting like a cry baby and a total bitch, she wants to save her mother. She comes up with a smart plan and she saves the day.

Alright.. There were a lot of things I liked, but also a lot if things I didn't like. Zara was, like I said in the beginning, a pretty nice main character. Her instant love with Nick and her fling with Ian: not very realistic. The way she finds out about the Pixie King: even weirder. The cover: not my taste.

What I really liked were the phobias. Ever chapter is named after a phobia, since Zara uses them to calm down. It's always a good thing to learn while reading and I've learned about some new phobias I've never heard of before.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

13 comments:

  1. I actually tried to read this book last year too and it was one of the first books I've ever added to my DNF pile -- I just couldn't get through it! Even though Zara was really nice like you said, it was a little harder to connect with her. But my favourite part was the way they put phobias at the beginning of every chapter too! That was so much fun and, as a girl with a phobia of insects, super easy to connect with! x)

    Thanks so much for the awesome honest review, Mel! <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this one a while ago in French and really liked it .. I'm not sure I'd enjoy it that much if I read it now because I feel like my expectations are way higher regarding YA books :). Great review Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mimi: precisely. I never had the feeling I really understood Zara, although she was nice. And I have some phobias myself (I think everybody does) so it was fun to find out about new ones.

    @Elodie, I think that's the problem. If you are new in the genre, I bet you'll like this one. But I'm too.. spoiled, I guess :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see I wasn't the only one that didn't like it! I had many of the similar feelings. I think it's really a book geared towards younger teens. I liked the phobias too, and the weretiger and werewolf but that was about it.

    Someday I might try the next book just to see if the series improves at all. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read this one. It doesn't really sound like something I'd enjoy. I like the idea of the phobias though; that sounds fun, and I like unique beginnings to chapters.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, the phobia thing has me intrigued. I had not heard of this book until your review. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve heard a ton of mixed reviews on this book. I totally understand what you mean about not really understanding how you feel about a book even after you are done reading it! That happens to me too sometimes. This is one I probably won’t read but I appreciate your review and am glad to hear that you enjoyed some things about it!

    Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  8. NOt sure how I'd like mean and harsh Zara either. I've seen a lot of great reviews on this series though and I love the cover. I might give it a try some day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the Need series. It gets better as the series progresses. :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Fall into books, that's great to hear! Perhaps I give them a try some day. I think I'm going to keep them for the summer vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a hard time with this book. I have to agree with @Fall Into Books, the series does get better as it goes along (I've read 3 books, the 4th just came out). But, for me, it only gets slightly better. Astley is really the only thing keeping me reading. I can't STAND Nick as a character. Issie is awesome, and occasionally I like Zara. I just, I dunno. The writing never grabbed me, but I have noticed improvements as the series progressed. I will read the fourth one cuz' I wanna know how it ends though :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Kristen Evey: I have some great books - at least, I expect them to be good - waiting for me. I will give this series a try, but for now, I'm full with other books ^^ I don't know who Astley is, so you have my attention with that name :p

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0