Top 10 Tuesday (7). Blog tips.

Today is my real birthday! I'm official 21 now, but I don't feel older than yesterday. Sometimes, I'm really scared to wake up and find out that I'm like 80 years old.. Do you know that movie in which the girl wakes up all grown up? That was a real nightmare for me when I watched it as a little girl. Time flies by so fast. And yeah, I always act like this on my birthday, haha.

But, today another Top 10 tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

It's all about helping other people out this time.
Top Ten Tips For New (Book) Bloggers.

Since I'm a newbie in this big blog world, I don't think I can make up 10 tips for New (book) bloggers, so I'm going to reach at least 5.

1. Be yourself. And that's really the most important tip you can get. Don't try to be someone else, because one day, people will start to notice. Why would anyone wants to read a blog from someone who's pretending to be someone else? You're fine the way you are! And so is your blog. The fact that everyone is unique, makes your blog unique and fantastic.
2. Time. Don't expect 10 followers when you only started one day. It takes time for people to find your blog and to get to know you. There is no way you can become popular after a week (unless I did something wrong, haha.)
3. Regular posting. Nobody wants to follow a blog from someone who only writes once a month. So you really have to put effort in your blog to make people notice it. And you definitely can't disappear and show up when you feel like it.
4. Effort in commenting. If people comment on your blog, try to comment back. That's something that shows that you are really interested in what other people tell you. Also, try to visit other blogs and comment over there. I visit new blogs and blogs I follow every day, just to make a connection with other bloggers.
5. Subject. Try to make a blog about something you are interested in. For me, that's reading. For others, that's make-up. If you have a passion for something, it won't feel like you have to force yourself to post. Stick to the things you love and maybe you can get other people to love it to. I'm crazy about fairytales, so I like to tell as much about is as I can :) and perhaps some other people are starting to wonder if they would like fairytales too.
6. Participate. Try to participate in challenges and weekly themes like 'Top 10 Tuesday, Waiting on Wednesday and especially Feature & Follow'. I've noticed that, when I started doing these things, I got a lot of followers and reactions.
7. Learning. And the last tip I want to give you is: blogging is learning. You have to find out what works for you. Everybody writes a review in his own way and you have to discover how you like to write it.
So, this is all I want to give to you. I hope it helps new bloggers :)

Mel.

42 comments

  1. I agree with regular posting to keep people coming back - I try and make sure I post a minimum of four things a week, and at least one review.

    Great list!

    Tara @ Hey, Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it's all about finding your own rythm in posting things. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I think the "effort in commenting" tip is awesome! It is so transparent when someone comments only to get a follow-back. Also, regular posting is so important. If you're busy, it only takes a minute to say, "Hey! I've been busy, but check back with me next week!". Great post!

    Check out my Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1, 3, 4 and 6 are on my list as well. You gave very good advice. Btw, I love your blog background. Those owls are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by! You're absolutely right about commenting. I know I'm not the best at keeping up with them all, but I do at least try. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying is always better than doing nothing at all!

      Delete
  5. Love your point on being yourself! It can easy to forget that when you're trying to make an impression and get new followers. I think it ties in with another tip I saw (can't remember where!) that said you don't have to apologize for your blog, or if you take a break, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that tip too! That was a nice addition to mine indeed :)

      Delete
  6. I love all of your points. I think it's hard to keep up to everything, which is okay - No one should overburden themselves - but it's good to try and hop over when other people leave comments and things like that. :)

    Patricia // My Post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your tips, Mel! Thanks for giving your advice!
    I think we are both in the same boat about being a new blogger but you are very wise for being so new! I like your tip about it taking time to gain followers and I also liked your tip about how blogging is learning. We’re all learning along the way!

    Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a blog before this one, but that was only about my life. I had some time to learn things over there ^^ And like I said: blogging is learning! And I learned a lot of things by looking on other blogs and participate in Bloggiesta :)

      Delete
  8. 1st: Happy birthday!!!
    I love the note you leave off on-- blogging IS learning! Like in so many things, if you want to do things well, you have to keep learning!

    I'm sure your blog is going to continue growing and be AWESOME :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there :) just popping in...

    Firstly happy birthday :D and secondly I love your tip about blogging is learning. I think everyday I learn something new. Also thanks for stopping by.

    Waiting On Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I think people who are blogging for three years can still learn new stuff :)

      Delete
  10. I agree that regular posting and commenting are both really quite necessary in order to attract people to your blog and keep them coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Uqq, regular posts, this is one of the most difficult and one of the most important parts of blogging. After being sick so often this year I have to develop a habit all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday!!

    I'm a new blogger as well, but I still think you have some great advice! It's funny how fast you learn, isn't it? I agree, I think being yourself is the most important thing in blogging. It's going to take a lot of time, and effort, but in the end, if you're true to yourself, you'll be happier with your blog. I'd rather have 5 followers that comment on my blog and create a discussion and share my love of books than 500 followers who do none of these things. Cheers! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      And it's true. I'd rather have a lot of comments from people who are truly interested in my blog, than have a lot of followers who hardly say anything.

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday!

    Excellent tips. The one about commenting s one that, embarrassingly, took me a long time to learn, so that's an especially important one, I think. And of course being yourself is always essential! The most personalized blogs are the most fun to read.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      You can better learn something late, than never ;)

      Delete
  14. Hey Mel,
    Great tips! Thanks so much for sharing them. New follower via GFC :)
    Angela @ AJ Arndt Books Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great tips! I love the first one. Be yourself! That's what makes a great blog to the core. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great advice. And don't worry, I don't think you did anything wrong when you started your blog. #2 is pretty spot on. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, that's good to hear. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  17. Great tips! I like that you said blogging is learning which is so true and I never really thought about it earlier. And yes it takes time and hard work to gain followers. So you didn't do anything wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great list! I think that the last one is completely true too, blogging is learning! People do seem to forget that, and it's so important to remember.

    Thanks for stopping by my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! There are no rules about blogging, you just have to find out what works for you :)

      Delete
  19. Being your self is so important. I'm still a new blogger myself and I am constantly making changes cause I just haven't found "me" yet. I agree that blogging is learning too. I've learned not only about blogging but also a bit about myself as I blog.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a great thing to learn more about yourself :D

      Delete
  20. I love that you suggest people write about what they love or are interested in exploring. It would be such a chore to blog about something that didn't really interest the author. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh happy birthday Mel, sorry about the delay in getting here - I'm just now catching up with comments!
    Great tips, I think your tip about "time" is really important for new bloggers to keep in mind, and I really like #7 too. :) Hope you had a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have to work on posting more! I'm really pressed for time right now and it's hard to do it all. It'll get better soon!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that you included be yourself - that was my #1 as well :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.