Thursday, April 26, 2012 17:56

Review 25. Rachel Hartman – Seraphina.

SeraphinaTitle: Seraphina.
Author: Rachel Hartman.
Pages: 464.
Expected publication: July 10th 2012.
Publisher: Random House Children's Books.
Sort: Stand alone.
Source: NetGalley.
Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high. Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.
Rating: 

I really tried to love this one. The synopsis sounds great and I've read some positive reviews about this book. Unfortunately, there were to many things I didn't like.

The story tells about our heroin, Seraphina (nice name by the way). She is sixeen years old and lives in a world with humans and dragons. The dragons have the ability to transform their bodies into human forms, so they can walk amongst them. There was a war between humans and dragons them, but for forty years there has been peace, because they signed a treaty. They want to sign the treaty again, but a member of the royal family has been murdered and everything makes it appears to be the work of a dragon. Like: his head is missing and that’s significant for draconian fashion.

Seraphina comes in the middle of the investigation and she must assist Prince Lucian Kiggs to discover the murderer. There is only one problem: she is half human, half dragon. Her mother was a dragon and she must hide that part of herself before she and her father are killed. Humans are still not very fond of dragons and the times are very dangerous now.

Let me tell you about the things I liked.
Seraphina was a great character. She has a passion for music, she is intelligent and I loved her sense of humor. Her love story was very believable for me. It really developed and I could feel the connection between her and Lucian. There are a lot of other great characters. They were a bit bizarre and that makes them so wonderful. I especially liked Orma – but I wouldn’t want him to hear that if he was alive, because I think he would kill me for it. The world building was amazing. The fact that dragons can transform their appearance to humans was a nice addition.

The things I didn’t liked.
Although I think Seraphina is a wonderful girl, I didn’t connect with her. It felt like I was reading her story, I didn’t feel it. I wish I could bond some more with her. That leads me to the second point, I never had the feeling I was sucked in the story. It wasn’t hard for me to stop reading. I never reached the point where I just wanted to know the ending and I didn’t regret the fact that I was done with this book. The story has a nice pace, but I just wished it was a bit shorter.

 
b0e567371347d0115468a06
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

12 comments:

  1. Oh too bad this one wasn't as good as it seems :( .. I'm very excited about this book because I love how unique it sounds but I won't set my expectations too high :) !! Thanks for the honest and great review Mel !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope this book works out for you! :) It's just personal taste of course.

      Delete
  2. Hi sweet! ^.^

    this is the very first review about Seraphina and it sounds really amazing! I dont mind the lack of connection with the characters since that is very subjective and it may be different for me. However, I had no idea what the story is about and you really updated me with that. Believe it or not, I didnt have this book in my goodreads until I read your review!

    Thanks so much for sharing and for stopping by my blog. =D It just made me discover yours ^.^

    have a kick-ass weekend and read like if there was no tomorrow! yay!!

    Dazzling Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right! That's really something personal, so I hope that you're going to like this book more than I did :D I'm glad that I helped you with my review!

      Delete
  3. It's always a shame when there's a lack of connection to a book. I've been there many times. The world does sound interesting.
    Thanks for a thoughtful review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh you got a copy of this book, nice! I thought they were only accepting requests from Canadian bloggers. How did you manage to get around that?!

    It's sad that you couldn't connect with the character but the story sounds very promising. It's one that I've been meaning to read since some time last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know! When I requested this book, they never said anything about Canadian bloggers. I guess I had some luck! :D

      And you should just go ahead and read it. Connection with a character is just personal :)

      Delete
  5. Ooh, what a shame! Lots of people have been giving this glowing reviews but I can see why it might not be everyone's type of book. I have it on my to-read pile for June. I'll try to be cautious when going into it!

    Thanks for the honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand tat a lot of people loved this book, but I guess it was just not meant to be :p I hope you're going to like it!

      Delete
  6. Awww...Dragons! I would love to read this book! I just hope that I will be able to realate to the characters (:
    P.S. I love your detailed reviews! Thank you for supporting my blog! (theliteraryninja.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Wafa, thanks! I'm glad that you like my reviews :) I hope you can relate to them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0