Sunday, April 22, 2012 16:19

Review 24. Jessica Day George – Princess of the Midnight Ball.

Princess of the Midnight Ball (Princess #1)Title: Princess of the Midnight Ball.
Author: Jessica Day George.
Pages: 288.
Published: January 20th 2009.
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA.
Sort: Part one of ‘Princess.’
A tale of twelve princesses doomed to dance until dawn… Galen is a young soldier returning from war; Rose is one of twelve princesses condemned to dance each night for the King Under Stone. Together Galen and Rose will search for a way to break the curse that forces the princesses to dance at the midnight balls. All they need is one invisibility cloak, a black wool chain knit with enchanted silver needles, and that most critical ingredient of all—true love—to conquer their foes in the dark halls below. But malevolent forces are working against them above ground as well, and as cruel as the King Under Stone has seemed, his wrath is mere irritation compared to the evil that awaits Galen and Rose in the brighter world above.
Rating:

What a cute story. It’s a retelling about the twelve dancing princesses and I love the twist in this one. Jessica has a captivating writing style and all the characters in her book are unbelievable cute. I especially liked Galen. He was a soldier and he has returned from the war. On his way to his uncle and aunt – the rest of his family died – he meets an old lady. He offers her some food and wine and she gives him an invisibility cloak and a special black wool.

When he arrives at his uncles house, he finds out that his uncle is the head gardener in the Palace and he also gets a job there as gardener. He meets Rose, but she becomes very sick and her other eleven sisters too. Still, they keep dancing on a place nobody knows and they are becoming sicker every morning. Their father is so worried, he decides to make a plan. The princesses can’t tell him where they go, because of the curse, so he invites princes through whole the country to help. If they find out where the princesses are going, they can marry one of the princesses. Unfortunately, no one is able to find out and every prince dies in a strange accident.

Galen sounds like someone everybody wants as a boyfriend. I think it’s so cool that he can knit. I loved how every princess got their own character. Most of the story is fixed on Rose, but you have the brave Poppy and her twin Daisy and the very religious Hyacint. The next book, which I’m reading right now, is about Poppy. If you love fairytales and retellings, you should take a look at this one! It’s really good and I had a lot of fun reading it.

b0e567371347d0115468a06

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

19 comments:

  1. I've seen this book around, but I didn't think I would like it since I'm not the biggest fan of retellings. After reading your review though and seeing it has a happy ending with a great guy, I might have to give it a chance. Thanks for the review! :)

    P.S. Thank you for following my blog, I really appreciate it. I'm following back now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! this cover is absolutely awesome.
    I love the dress!!
    And super great review.
    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I love retellings! I've only read one retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses (Entwined), but that was extremely loose. This one sounds like it's closer to the original tale. I'm glad you liked this book! Rose and Galen sound adorable together and the curse is such a great twist. Lovely review, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Entwined was very good, but you're right, it was really lose.

      Delete
  4. Great review! I want to read this now, if only so that I can read about a male character knitting lol. Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I requested this book from the library and now I'm even more excited to read this book after reading your review!

    Awesome review, Mel! ♥ So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're going to love it as much as I did! :D

      Delete
  6. I've seen this book around. Sounds pretty cool. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 12 dancing princesses is a story that I actually don't know very well at all, but I know there are a few YA re-tellings out there. I'm glad you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that Galen can knit too! I loved this story– it's a great retelling! Great review and I'm a new follower :) I'm currently running a giveaway on my blog if you'd like to check it out!

    Rabiah
    Confessions of a Readaholic

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds great! I can't wait to get my hands on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book is by one of my favorite authors! Awesome review.
    Thanks for following me, I;m a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had my eye on this one for ages. I really want to read it and I'm glad to hear you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really want to read this! The storyline sounds amazing and I'm glad you enjoyed this so much. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0