Review 22. Suzanne Collins – Catching fire.

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
Title: Catching fire.
Author: Suzanne Collins.
Pages: 391.
Published: September 1st 2009.
Publisher: Scholastic Press .
Sort: Part two of ‘The Hunger Games.’
Review #1: The Hunger Games.
Sparks are igniting, flames are spreading and the Capitol wants revenge. Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol-- a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create. Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.
Rating: 

If you haven't read the books, don't read the review if you don't want to know. Spoilers everywhere :)

Summary.
“Because sometimes things happen to people and they’re not equipped to deal with them.”

The Hunger Games are back. Every twenty five year they celebrate the games in a different way.

Katniss and Peeta are in trouble. In almost every district there is tension. There are rumors of rebellion. Katniss is afraid for the lives of everybody she loves, because Snow blames her for the rebellion. And it shows: this time, every district must deliver a survivor of a Hunger Game. That means that Katniss is up for another round and Peeta decides to take place as the male candidate. Katniss is sure that she is going to die and she is prepared to do everything to keep Peeta alive. What she doesn’t know is that Haymitch has another plan. He makes connections with other survivors with only one goal: keep her and therefore Peeta alive. No matter what.

“If you die and I live, there’s no life for me at all back in district twelve. You’re my whole life,” he says. “I would never be happy again.”

Opinion.
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I thought the first one was pretty good, but this one blew me away! I never thought she would come up with something like this. It’s so cruel and sickly smart to send Katniss back. It’s the ultimate master plan. Just let her die there and nobody can blame the President.

I liked the fact that there is more action in this one. There is more speed in the story. Everything happens fast and that makes it more pleasant than the first one. The area is brilliant. This is what I mean with a tough area. In the Hunger Games they had it quite easy overall. Here, it’s really hard to survive. And the whole clock idea was a clever invention.

The characters in this book were so nice. Not that you get enough time to bond with them, since they die within every page, but they were brave and nice. Even a bit silly, but I like that. I especially liked Finnick and I got more feeling for Peeta, but he is still not my favorite.
 
b0e567371347d0115468a06

22 comments

  1. It blew me ayway too. so glad you enjoyed this one. I do love this series. Great review Mel x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is funny, because I saw several people who were pretty dissapointed in this one :p I think it was the best one in the series.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read the first one in this serie yet, but I've read a couple of things in this review. And oh my, I cannot wait to start reading this! Sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to re-read this book ever since watching THG movie. It does have a lot more action and that ending floored me! Finnick is pretty awesome too. Wish Collins would write another series already. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we can expect a lot from Collins :) I hope so, because she writes pretty good.

      Delete
  4. I really had no idea what to expect from this one too! I thought, what the heck can happen in the next book but then.. Collins blew me away!!! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about the same thing. How will this continu? Thanks for stopping by ^^

      Delete
  5. All I had to see was were your five shining stars for this book and I nearly jumped out of my chair and danced! x) I think that my favourite part of this book was the arena too -- BRILLIANT is the perfect way to put it! It was so complicatedly awesome that I sat there for hours just wondering how Suzanne Collins did it. Because I honestly don't know LOL!

    Amazing review, Mel! I'm super happy that you seemed to love this book as much as I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed by the fact that she came up with something so clever! :D And the "tick tock" woman was just adorable.

      I'm also very happy that you liked it so much!

      Delete
  6. This book wasn't my favorite one in the series, but I agree that the characters were great! I loved the two crazy old people...I forget their names. Whoops! Anyway, and Finnick! Yes! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finnick is perhaps the most amazing character I came across in this book :D With Haymitch.

      Ahhh, and those two were so cute. "Tick tock"

      Delete
  7. I really loved Catching Fire! I loved every single book in The Hunger Games trilogy. They were truly brilliant and I loved Finnick from The Hunger Games!

    Awesome review, Mel! ♥ So glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also liked every book, although the last one was a bit dissappointing, but I'll post the review soon :)

      Delete
  8. Great review!! I loved The Hunger Games... TEAM PEETA ALL THE WAY!! lol. I'm a new follower and just wanted to drop by and say hi :)

    Feel free to check out my blog & follow too!!

    -Riya (The Teen Book Guru)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I'm not sure if there reallly is something as a 'team', since the book doesn't spin around the love for one of them. But if I have to choose, I think I'd liked to see her alone.. :') I don't have the feeling she really loves Gale or Peeta.. Gale was just her best friend, so it seemed normal for her to be with him. Peeta became something even closer, because of everything they shared in The Hunger Games. But I will tell more about this in my upcoming review of the third book ^^

      Delete
  9. I also loved Catching Fire! More than the first, as well :) Yup, it was really messed up sending all the winners to another games. And the clock idea was certainly something! And oh, FINNICK <3

    Great review, I'm glad you liked it as much as me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Finnick! He was brilliant. And I loved the fact that there is so much more behind him than the appearance everybody sees.

      Delete
  10. I'm very glad you enjoyed the second book that much .. It's actually my favourite of the series !! I love both Peeta and Gale .. I really can't make my mind about which team I'm in :) !
    Great review Mel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've finally read all three books, I think this one is my favorite as well!

      Delete
  11. This is a great book! Finnick is my favorite! He's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really loved this book, and the arena was definitely tougher than in the first book. Finnick is great, but Gale will always be my favourite!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible.