Thursday, April 12, 2012 15:13

Review 20. Suzanne Collins – The Hunger Games.

So, I finally read this book and I know that there are so many reviews about it, but I still want to post mine :) If you haven’t read this book – and I think that is almost impossible. I really feel like the last person on earth who just read this book for the first time – there are spoilers.

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)Title: The Hunger Games.
Author: Suzanne Collins.
Pages: 274.
Published: October 31st 2008 (first published September 14th 2008)
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
ISBN: 0439023483 (ISBN13: 9780439023481)
Sort: part one of ‘The Hunger Games.’
Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning? In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival.
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars. 

What I really liked about this book are the characters and their development. Katniss is a tough girl, but she has a soft side and that gave her a real personality. Peeta was not my favorite, but that’s also because he was a whiny boy in the movie. I think that I like Gale more. I don’t know why, but I liked Haymitch from the beginning. I felt a certain sympathy for him. Imagine his role in The Hunger Games. Coaching a girl and a boy and seeing them die every year.

The strength of this book is the reflection to our lives. It’s true: everybody wants to see more blood and action. Look at the programs on television, where people do these crazy things for money. Nothing is silly enough. We always try to cross the line. Just push the limits a bit further. How many years before we host our own Hunger Games? Thinking about it makes me sick, but I don’t think that something like that is off limits.. When we always want more, where will we end someday? Watching people butcher each other for money and excitement? I’m frightened for the future sometimes.

I still wonder why this book is SUCH a hype. It’s fantastic indeed, but why is this particular book so popular? At least I’m happy that it’s about a very good book, instead of some other hypes we have had. And I know that you know what I’m talking about ;)

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

10 comments:

  1. You're definitely not the last person who read The Hunger Games. I haven't, haha! Thank you for your honest review, it makes me want to read this book even more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, finally someone else who is new to The Hunger Games! You should give it a try :)

      Delete
  2. Omg isn't this amazing in every way? I absoltely loved it all and yes the characters are incredibly well rendered! So happy you loved it - but really who doesn't!? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find a lot of negative reviews and that didn't suprised me at all :D

      Delete
  3. I can see why the Hunger Games is popular--it's like nothing that has been published in America, but I don't see where the HYPE is coming from. I'm surprised it gets so much attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I mean. I can understand that this book is popular among readers, but look at the movie. So many attention.

      Delete
  4. I was a big fan of Gale and not a fan of Peeta in the first book. Later, my allegiances changed, as I think most readers' did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm starting to get why. I'm exactly half way in the last book.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, I loved (and was disturbed by) the parallels to the real world. The Capitol is glued to their TVs, rooting for their favourites to live, and cheering when their least favourites die. And here we are, glued to the page and to the movie screen, completely engrossed in a story about children killing each other and yet somehow unable to look away, cheering for Katniss to make it through such a gruesome game. Anyways, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here another one who still has to read the e. Planning to buy them on our trip to the usa in May & probably reading them there&then right away!
    I smiled because of your comment 'instead of some other hypes we have had' - who's could that be ;)
    I think the reason why they are so successful is simple: a brilliant marketing thanks to the success of the HP-series.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0