Wednesday, March 21, 2012 20:16

Review 14. Victoria Schwab - The near witch.

The Near WitchVictoria Schwab - The near witch.
Pages: 282.
Published: August 2nd 2011.
Publisher: Hyperion Books CH
ISBN: 1423137876 (ISBN13: 9781423137870).
Serie: stand alone.
Sixteen-year-old Lexi, who lives on an enchanted moor at the edge of the village of Near, must solve the mystery when, the day after a mysterious boy appears in town, children start disappearing.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5.

"My father hated those tales, told me they were made up by the Council to frighten people. 'Fear is a strange thing,' he used to say. 'It has the power to make people close their eyes, turn away. Nothing good grows out of fear.'"

Lexi lives with her mother, uncle and sister Wren in the Moor at the edge of the village of Near. It's a closed community where everybody knows each other. Strangers and witches are not welcome; that rule is stated by The Council. Lexi's father was different. He took her to the two witches who are living on the edge of the village and told her to respect them and the magic that surrounds them. He also taught her to be a hunter; a tracker and she is quite good at it. When her father died, her uncle became some sort of guardian. He is trying to protect her and her sister, but Lexi is too strong. I loved the fact that she always stood up against him. Heroins should be brave: they must not bow to the will of other men.

"Long, long ago, the Near witch lived in a small house on the farthest edge of the village, and she used to sing the hills to sleep."

That's what the children are told about the 'Near witch' as a bedtime story. When a stranger arrives, everybody is talking about it. Especially when a boy disappears and soon after him, more children. Lexi's uncle is the protector of the village and it's his task to find the missing children. He is blinded in his search and soon, the stranger is blamed for the missing children. Lexi knows where she can find him and she visit the witches, where he is hiding. He is a bit strange. Sometimes, it feels like he can vanish into the air, like he is some kind of ghost. He doesn't want to talk about himself, so Lexi gives him a name: Cole. She decides that she can trust him. He is going to help her to find the children, since her uncle has no clue.
Soon, Lexi discovers the truth. What if the Near Witch never really died? What if she came back to take revenge for her death? When Wren, her sister, is also one of the missing children, Lexi can think of only one thing. She must find out what happened to the Near Witch and better: what can she do to get her sister back?

Like is said, Lexi is a nice character. I liked to see the world through her eyes. Moor and Near sounded very magical. She is kick ass and I laughed couple of times. Her uncle tells her to stay inside: five minutes later, she is running in the forest to the Sisters. At first, I didn't like Cole. He was too distant, but when you get to know him better, he becomes a lovely character :) Wren is very cute! I just wanted to grab her and give her a hug.

There is certainly some action in this story, mainly at the end of the book. The story is a bit slow sometimes and it takes some time to really develop, but I enjoyed myself. If you like a book with a mystical feeling to it and told by a stubborn heroin, you should definitely read this one!
Have you already read this book? Let me know!

Mel.

7 comments:

  1. I loved The Near Witch. I totally agree with you about heroins! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a super lovely read! Thanks for putting this book on my radar, Mel! Definitely worth a check out! :) Awesome review! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds interesting! It does have a very mysterious feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could say I loved this book - I certainly wanted to love it, but there was something essential lacking for me. It's a bit hard to put my finger down on because the story was beautifully crafted in so many ways - but the plot moved a bit slowly, and the characters seemed lackluster.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0