Wednesday, February 22, 2012 13:36

Review 8. Michelle Zink - Prophecy of the sisters.

Prophecy of the Sisters (Prophecy of the Sisters, #1)
Pages: 343.
Published: July 1st 2010. (first published 2009)             
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers.
Sort: First book in 'Prophecy of the sisters.'
An ancient prophecy divides two sisters- One good... One evil... Who will prevail? Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets. Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust. They just know they can't trust each other.
Rating: 

I really liked this book. There's not so much action, but it still captured my attention. We get to meet Lia and Alice, who lived with their father, aunt and two brothers. Now their father is dead and strange things are happening. Lia has suddenly marks on her wrist and they become more visible every day. Her twin sister Alice is acting strange - although their relationship has never been very strong - and they rarely talk to each other.

When Alice slips away during school time, Lia decides to follow her with Luisa. Alice is leaving to see a medium called Sonia and she wants the girl to contact her father. It goes not according to plan and Sonia sent them away.

Alice is frustrated and Lia becomes even more confused. What is going on? And when Lia and Sonia meet in - what Lia thought it was - a dream, everything becomes even more confusing. Until she receives a book. There's a story in it that tells about the Prophecy of the sisters. A twin, one the Gate, one the Guardian. Four keys to unlock the Gate or close the Gate forever. They can release Satan and his souls to make chaos in the world or they can make them disappear forever. Sonia and Luisa also have marks around their wrists, so what's their role in this story?
“I avoid looking at the clock, fearing the slow passing of time that will only seem slower if I watch its progress.”
Lia is a like-able girl. Alice is sucked into her own world and there's only one thing she wants; and she will do anything to get it. The only thing that I don't liked was the fact that Lia accepts everything so easily. I think that I would need a lot of time to adjust to the fact that I can destroy or save the world. Not to mention the fact that her soul can wonder in the Otherworlds. I liked Sonia and Luisa. They are both very nice and brave.

I will definitely read the next book very soon, because I want to know what will happen next! There's one thing I noticed while looking on Goodreads: you love this book or you hate this book, there's no other way. People gave this book 4/5 stars or just 1 star, so you just have to find out on which side you're on :)
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

7 comments:

  1. I'm a new follower! :)

    Nice review! I've recently finished this book as well, and I'm currently reading the second book, which I think will be just as good ^_^ Michelle Zink is a really great author, I'm definitely on the 4/5 star section on this one!!!

    Here's my review ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following me! I'm going to take a look at your review right away :)

      Delete
  2. I loved this book now i have to read the others in the series. great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading Guardian of the gate right now and it's good! I think I will post the review very soon :)

      Delete
  3. Nice review :) It was interesting to see someone elses thoughts on the book. I think I agree with you on most points. Lia was far too accepting not only because of what was happening to her, but because of her father. I don't think she mourned much for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I expected her to cry more, because she is portrayed as 'the weaker sister'

      Delete
  4. loved your review. i loved the book. i just wished she could have been more detailed, and used a little more imagery, so that the reader cuold have feeled more involved. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0