Friday, February 10, 2012 17:58

Markus Zusak - The book thief.

The Book Thief
Pages: 553.
Published:
november 2007.
Publisher: Transworld Publishers.
Sort: Stand-alone, historical.
It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau. This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.
Rating: Favorite.

I've read this book three times now and every time I fall more in love with it. The way the story has been written is so original. Not like any other book you'll ever read. We get to meet Liesel through the eyes of Death himself. They meet on a cold winter day when Liesel, her mother and her brother are traveling by train. Her brother dies and Death comes to claim him. From that moment on, he keeps following Liesel. She comes to live with her foster parents. Her father is a very nice and sweet man. Her mother is more harsh, but you'll learn to understand her behavior. Then there's her best friend, who likes to pretend he's a famous athlete. But Max is the most fascinating person who comes in her life. He's a Jewish man and he hides in their basement. They become friends and he writes/draws a story for Liesel, because she loves book - and she's the book thief.

Really, this story is so heartbreaking, beautiful and wonderful written. I assure you, read this one, you won't regret it. He gave me several time goose bumps with his words. Here are two lines, just to show you how great his words are.

Descibtion about the war:
“A small but noteworthy note. I've seen so many young men over the years who think they're running at other young men. They are not. They are running at me.”

“A human doesn't have a heart like mine. The human heart is a line, whereas my own is a circle, and I have the endless ability to be in the right place at the right time. The consequence of this is that I'm always finding humans at their best and worst. I see their ugly and their beauty, and I wonder how the same thing can be both. Still, they have one thing I envy. Humans, if nothing else, have the good sense to die.”

This book is already in my book collection and it has a special place, for I love this one dearly.
Go on, buy it!

author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe I haven't read this book yet! It sounds like a MUST. Thanks for the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! It really is a must :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It' is wonderful and original ,yes. I'm jealous you've read it three times. I had to make do with the ebook, but plan on buying the actual book someday. Max is also my favorite character, the Jewish boxer:). I love the story he made and that it was illustrated in the book, The Standover Man. that was a wonderful surprise. Nice review, I can tell you loved it

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was my son's reading assignment and he loved it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Toptal (Topal) / CC BY-SA 3.0